PDA

View Full Version : Several ?s for Moby wearers...

mommy_someday
04-17-2005, 11:46 PM
I used to carry DS in the Moby so that he was facing my chest. Now he hates not being able to see and fights me a lot of the time so I've started turning him around to face forward. But I have SUCH a hard time getting him into that position! I have to balance him against my shoulder to get him in the criss-cross part and then I almost can't get the "pouch" part up over his legs so that his belly is covered. Does that make sense? I have tried to make it looser, but then he just ends up a lot lower on me. What am I doing wrong???

Also, DS is three months old. Can I back-carry him? And if I did, maybe the rucksack carry (mamatoto.org), would he be able to see anything or would it be the same problem I have when he faces me? He has pretty good head control, but still has a slight case of the wobbles, so he'd need support - especially if he fell asleep. Are back-carries harder to set up the the FFW ones?

This may be a dumb question too, but how much of the day do you wear your DC? I don't wear him much around the house because he nurses so sporadically that I constantly have to unwrap and re-wrap, but I do use it at the grocery store, mall, etc. I'm just afraid of wearing him too much that he misses out on developmental things like tummy time, reading books, playing with toys, etc. If I wear him more often, will it make it harder for him to learn to sleep on his own for naps and such?

Sorry for the novella. TIA!

yitlan
04-18-2005, 12:00 AM
Hi, I'm a big Moby fan!

Hmmmm...do you know you don't HAVE to put the front "pouch" part up? You can just sit him in the cross and spread those pieces out for good coverage. Also, try bending his legs when trying to put him in. I would grab him under his thighs, putting him in fetal position (sort of). Then hold out the cross and place his legs in the right "holes." No idea if I'm making any sense!

For back carry, I think you should wait a bit until he's not so wobbly.

I wore my babes while out and popped them in and out as we got in and out of the car. At home, I only wore/wear them when they are fussier than usual and seem to need extra contact (fussy, ill, tired, etc). Do whatever feels right!

[link:www.moeconsultant.com/sign2speak|FREE Fuzzi Bunz?]
[link:www.cleverkingdom.com|Cute, affordable clothes for your family]
Email [email protected] for more info.

mommy_someday
04-18-2005, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the info! DS is kinda wiggly, so if I didn't put the pouch part up over his legs, would he still be safe enough? If I were to lean over (rather than squat - I have crummy knees), he wouldn't fall out, would he? Man, it would be nice not to have to fiddle with the pouch for this carry! I always feel like I'm twisting the heck out of his legs to get the pouch in place...I hope this new way will work. :O)

npace19147
04-18-2005, 08:43 AM
Sounds to me like it might be time to switch to a mei tei. Check out www.happyslings.com and look at the happy cruiser - it's got a narrower body so you can do front facing forward more easily. Stretchy wraps aren't great for back carries b/c it's hard to get the material tight enough to really be secure, but in another month or so when DS has better head control a back carry with a mei tai could be good - check out www.kozycarrier.com for the high back carry. HTH!

lenad
04-18-2005, 11:10 AM
I had the same issue w/ my DD when she got to be 3-mo old, so I gave up the Moby and got a Kozy (and a Kolamo MT, and a pouch, and a Mei Hip, and 2 wraps, LOL). I personally don't find any front facing out carry to be too comfortable for me, so I have not used it much though my DD *loves* it. But when nothing other than a FFO will work I use a Kozy. It does have a bit of a wider body, but I scrunch up the fabric at the bottom. I like the way it supports her behind and legs (all the way up to her knees), and straps go around her body so I can get her in as close to me as I like. An MT with a smaller body (I think Freehand is one) might be even better. I find MTs far superior for FFA to any wrap.

BTW, I used to read that babies get out of that phase where they have to look out. I didn't believe it as my DD seemed like she hated anything but. But sure enough, she did. I don't know whether it's because now she is bigger so she can turn more easily to see things that interest her, or because she has used to being in a carrier, but now (6.5 mo) we do FFO much more rarely.

LD

lenad
04-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Sorry, double post.

yitlan
04-18-2005, 03:15 PM
>If I were to lean over (rather than squat - I have
>crummy knees), he wouldn't fall out, would he?

I think whether or not you use the front "pouch" part, you should always use one arm to support him when bending over. If you're most comfortable using that, I would again suggest grabbing him under the thighs so he's in the fetal position and try to slide the front panel/pouch over his bent legs. It will be a bigger bump to get over, BUT it will be a smoother bump so it might slide more easily.

Keep practicing. Soon it will be second nature. Hope I'm making sense!

[link:www.moeconsultant.com/sign2speak|FREE Fuzzi Bunz?]
[link:www.cleverkingdom.com|Cute, affordable clothes for your family]
Email [email protected] for more info.