PDA

View Full Version : Kozy or Hotsling or ?...

ajweeks
04-23-2005, 07:46 AM
Hi, I'm currently researching a new sling/carrier for my 7 month old daughter. I currently have a maya wrap ring sling which is ok, but the large rings sometimes dig into me (I'm pretty petite). I also have a KKAFP, which I really like, but it is getting too warm for it now that summer is on its way (I live in NC). I'm mostly carrying my daughter in the hip carry or tummy to tummy. She is on the smaller side--probably around 16 lbs. now.

My question is, which do you think I should get, a hotsling or a Kozy? Are the Kozys hard to get the hang of? I would like to get something that will last and be comfortable as my daughter gets older and heavier. I'll probably carry her for a long time since I also have a 3 year old son who keeps me on my toes.

Also, what is the website that sells Kozys?

Thanks for your help,

Amy

mamaAnn
04-23-2005, 11:26 AM
www.kozycarrier.com
From what you said I think a Kozy (or any mei tai) may be a better option since you have a 3 yr old as well and want it for longer carries. I use my Kolamo mei tai with my 5 mos old ALL the time! I also have a 3 yr old and 6 yr old so I need hands free and secure! Mei tais are great for bending over and long walks and general household chores I've found. They are also easy to get on/off. I was a bit intimidated at first but within just a few tries I could get it on/off within a minute or 2.
I'm a smaller frame and I didn't care for the large Kozy body and went for smaller styles like the Kolamo or www.sachicarriers.com or www.happysling.com (happy cruiser) But Kozy's are still a wonderful carrier and MANY people love them so it's just a personal preference. Just wanted to let you know there are smaller vs larger body styles. I 'think' the Kozy is about 17" wide compared to the sachi is 15" wide for example.

That said, the pouch is great for the quick in/outs to the store or around the house-I have 3 Hotslings so I'm partial to these but also like the www.lucky-baby.com sling alot and you can get them super cheap on e-bay now since she's trying to build her business. She also has good reviews on www.thebabywearer.com
It would be worth it to get both if possible!
Good luck!
Ann

lenad
04-23-2005, 11:53 AM
I would say get both, but if you have to decide on just one for the moment, I'd say get a Kozy. There is a beautiful Kozy (Winkler pattern) on http:thebabywearer.com board 'for sale or trade' for $40 plus shipping, if you don't want to wait (they are really popular so the wait is at least a month). I like it so much I wanted to get it myself, but can't justify yet another Kozy.

My DD has loved the Kozy from the very first time I put her in it (3 mo, she is now 6.5mo). It is still her favorite, and the carrier she falls asleep in the fastest. It is very easy to learn to use. Not as poppable as a Hotsling, so if you need an easy in/out you may want to get a pouch as well.

LD

Java
04-23-2005, 05:13 PM
I have both and like both for different reasons. Hotslings are great for easy in-easy out. The downside is it's made for your body so unless Dad is the same size he won't be able to wear it.

Kozy's take a little longer to put on (like a few minutes to tie vs seconds for the Hotsling) but are great for longer trips to the market, walks, etc. I could do more housework in the Kozy because DS couldn't lean out as he could in the Hotsling (in the hip carry). Anyone can wear the Kozy but the downside for me was all the extra straps. I'm 5'3", 105 lbs so there was a lot of excess strap dragging around!

That said, as DS got older and heavier, he started to fuss on the Kozy. I think it was because he was more "trapped" in the Kozy. I recently purchased an Ergo and he loves it. So in my experience, Kozy's are great for younger toddlers because they are more snug but as they get older, you may have to move on to a different carrier that allows them more movement. We took a carrying break for a few months when he started walking so that played a role in it too. I imagine if you continued carrying your DD regularly, it may not be a problem!

ajweeks
04-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I agree that I could probably use both a hotsling and a Kozy/MT. Now to be able to afford both...

I'm currently searching to see if I can find a used XS Hotsling that is reasonably priced. Then maybe I can get a MT or even an Ergo too.
I think my husband would like the Ergo.

Ergos look interesting and maybe a bit easier to use because you don't have to tie? They are pretty expensive though.

Has anyone had any experience with all the MTs that are up for sale on EBay? There are some made by Babyhawk, but I don't know if they are any good or not. Kozys seem to be hard to come by with a month wait. I would love a used one!

August
04-25-2005, 08:07 AM
go to www.thebabywearer.com , there is, in the forum, a place to sell and buy carriers. You might find what you want there.
Good luck!