PDA

View Full Version : Best carrier for mom2B w/ neck & back pain?

garden
04-29-2005, 10:05 PM
I love the idea of a carrier, but all of them look painful to me. I have chronic neck/upper back pain (multiple doctors, chiropracter, acupuncture, etc...) and it's typically manageable - as long as I baby my neck. Otherwise, it's sheer he!!.

Is there a carrier that would work for me? Is there a type I should particularly stay away from? It often hurts just to carry my purse on my shoulder...

TIA!

crayonblue
04-30-2005, 08:16 AM
I have back and neck problems. I found that carriers that go over both shoulders and cross in the back were the best for me. I would recommend a Moby Wrap for an infant and then a Sutemi for about 4 months and up. I've also heard that a Kozy might work well for those with back pain.

I tried pouches- a Kangaroo Korner Fleece pouch, a Hotsling and a Maya Pouch and all three killed my shoulder, neck and back. I also tried a Bjorn (before I knew the world of carriers!) and a Baby Trekker but neither crossed low enough in the back or had the waist support that I needed.

Good luck!

garden
04-30-2005, 11:16 PM
Thanks Lana! I'll check those out. Did you ever try the Bjorn Active? My DH tried one on today at the baby store and he liked it better than the regular one by a lot (I was too tired from ordering a crib and testing strollers to try it on - I'll go back this week).

I ask because the Active has the lower back support...

Thanks again!

crayonblue
05-09-2005, 09:27 AM
No, I never tried the Bjorn Active. I am sure it has to be better than the Bjorn. I couldn't use the Bjorn with Lauren past 8 lbs. due to back pain!

littlewilson
05-10-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm in the same boat as the OP with chronic neck issues, and am trying to choose a carrier. Which of the ones mentioned (or others) would be most conducive to breast-feeding while being easiest on the neck/shoulders?

I initially thought I'd get the Bjorn Active, as it feels nice and supportive (much more substantial than the original though obviously not ideal for BFing), but reading everything on this board gets me worried about the baby's posture and comfort in a front-pack like that. So confused...