PDA

View Full Version : My Review of the Playtex Hip Hammock

Jeanne
05-17-2005, 01:33 PM
I know most of you are sling users but I thought I'd post my review of this product for anyone who might be wondering.

I didn't sling either of my girls - just never looked into it and used the Bjorn without problems when they were younger. However, recently, we went to Disney World and I needed something small to secure my youngest who is 19 months and 23 pounds. We didn't want to take our double stroller or Kelty Backpack simply because of the sizes of both so I purchased the Hip Hammock two days before we left.

This is actually a decent product for occasional use. I bought the Deluxe Model (just reintroduced after a recall) for $60. It's black, rolls up and buttons together, and is super easy to put on. It also has a handy pocket pouch at the waistline that holds a digital camera or sunglasses. It was great for walks from the car, walking the airport, transitions from tram to monorail, security checks, on and off the plane, standing in lines, and other crowded situations.

Both DH and I found that we could tolerate carrying her for up to two hours max as it does tend to tug at your neck despite the ample padding. But she rarely spent more than 30 minutes in it at a time save for one late night at the fireworks when she fell asleep in it. She didn't resist much and generally seemed very happy and comfortable when she was riding in it. My youngest wants to walk everywhere and is not too cooperative when forced to be held. She didn't seem to view the hammock as being held perhaps because it's hands-free.

I have never used a sling so I can't say if there is something out there comparable for an older child. Also, because we originally planned on bringing the Kelty and then bagged that idea (thankfully)at the last minute, the Hip Hammock was the only thing I could get in time for our trip.

I realize I won't get much more use out of this because of her age, but it was worth every dime for our vacation. I more than got my $60 worth in convenience and safety.

Hope that helps someone.

Here's a picture of it in use.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/25846.jpg

MeredithsMom
05-20-2005, 08:30 AM
Love the pic and the review, Jeanne! Thanks.

Now I have to go answer your e-mail. :-)