PDA

View Full Version : Asian Baby Carriers - How are they different from Bjorns?

JaysTeri
05-31-2005, 05:18 PM
Hey! I've seen lots of posts about ABC's and I wonder what makes them different from Baby Bjorns. I used a BB until my ds was 2 mo and I discovered a ring sling...which I love! I had assumed that the Bjorn would be better for my back than the sling but I couldn't have been farther from the truth! It killed my back!!

So, why is the bjorn painful and the abc not?

TIA,

sherryh
05-31-2005, 10:37 PM
When wearing the Baby Bjorn, you are taking all the weight of the baby in your shoulders and back. An ABC has a waist strap and a shoulder strap, so the weight distribution is better.

In addition, there have been some studies that suggest it is not great for babies to hang by their crotch (as they do in front carriers that allow for the baby to face out) as far as spine development goes. In an ABC, the child is sitting in a more natural position.

Most people can't wear a Bjorn past 2 or 3 months (although there are always exceptions). An ABC can be worn with baby on your front or on your back, thus allowing you to use it longer (and ABC's are less expensive than the Bjorn).

JaysTeri
06-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I never thought of the baby hanging by its crotch! Yikes!

My Baby Bjorn is the Active style with the waist belt. I guess I'm wondering how the weight is distributed....like across your back with a ring sling. KWIM?

tarahsolazy
06-01-2005, 07:50 PM
For a front carry, like Bjorn with babe facing in, you tie the bottom straps around your waist, so its like an apron. Hug babe to you, and bring carrier up over his back, and put shoulder straps over shoulders, cross them, and tie under bum. Those straps right around your waist form the bottom of the sort of sling seat for the baby, so his weight is transferred directly to the waist. The Bjorn active just has a lumbar pad, I thought? I never used a Bjorn, but I really like the Kozy in a front carry. I also find slings to be very comfy, though, like you. They don't bother my R shoulder at all while I'm wearing them, and my son weighs over 25lbs. I can sling or Kozy him (front or back) for around 2 hours, at least. My legs are often tired at night when I've worn him, but never my back.

lizamann
06-02-2005, 08:46 AM
You can also use an Asian style on the back. I think they rock for this purpose!

JaysTeri
06-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Interesting. I might just have to try one of those!!

Thanks. You ladies are awesome!

bethwl
06-02-2005, 09:19 PM
You can also do a hip carry with an ABC.