PDA

View Full Version : Mamma's Milk Pouches

JaysTeri
06-06-2005, 05:46 PM
I'm seriously considering getting one of these for a friend, but I don't know anyone who has used one. I'm looking for the adjustability of a zolowear ring sling with the leg padding and look of the hotsling. All for a reasonable price! Am I dreaming?

TIA,

american_mama
06-06-2005, 10:30 PM
I seriously considered getting one, but didn't because she was often out of my color and I couldn't find much info. about them. One was for sale on swap several months ago, and the seller said she liked both KKAFP and Mamma's Milk (my two choices). She liked the range of adjustability of the MM rather than just the four rows of snaps on a KKAFP.

I ended up getting a KKAFP and don't find the degree of adjustability to be too little. Now that I've used a KKAFP, I do see two potential disadvantages to the MM, but bear in mind that I've never used one or even seen one. First, sometimes when my baby falls asleep in the KKAFP, I can lay her down wrapped in the pouch in the crib and then gently unsnap the pouch without waking her. With a Mamma's Milk, the sound of ripping velcro might wake the baby. I don't like laying her down with the pouch still together because it falls on her face rather than laying more flat underneath her.

Also, some velcro and related products can be super strong and take some real effort to pull apart. I have some cloth diapers that are like that and I hate pulling two little tabs apart. A whole sling of velcro might be worse.

I think the MM pouches look better on the website than the KKAFP, and the fabrics might be more all-season.

kaylinsmommy2
06-06-2005, 10:38 PM
I've only tried on a MM once - it was my friend's. The adjustability is a great feature, but the velcro area kind of dug into my shoulder/back. Just enough to make me love my Hotsling more... My friend stoppe dusing hers quite early on because of it (but it could also be b/c she didn't like slings in general). Hopefully someone else will have more info about Mama's milk slings. :)
How about a pouch that isn't adjustable, but has leg padding and is affordable? There's a thread a couple months ago about HevenlyBundle.com ? or something like that. Lucky-baby.com also makes good pouches (w/o the padding, though I think).
I do like my hotsling, though.
Caroline
Kaylin 6/5/04

JaysTeri
06-07-2005, 09:20 AM
That definitely gives me something to think about! So, if you were to just buy ONE carrier - and since it is a gift it probably will be her only one - would it be a hotsling or a ring sling?

I used to nurse in my ring sling all the time and that is primarily why she wants it. I just find that I don't use my ring sling anymore since the hotsling is so much easier and doesn't leave red marks on ds's legs when he is wearing shorts. And I've never nursed in my hotsling since ds isn't nursing as frequently. Ugh! Decisions, decisions!!

lenad
06-07-2005, 10:57 AM
If I were getting only one carrier I would get a Mei Tai. It is the best compromise of comfort, ease of use, and flexibility. Or a rebozo-length wrap.
(Ok, I know these were not your options, but I really like my MTs and rebozo Ellaroo and I am not a ring sling person.)

Having said that, my dd didn't like pouches for months, but I finally got her used to them. I do have a Hotsling and 2 Lucky Baby pouches. The fit is a really tricky business. I am about to sell my Hotsling as it became too big for me after I lost pregnancy weight, and I *love* my LBs. I can definitely see that an adjustable pouch may be a good thing, though I have never tried one. There is going to be a co-op of Mamma's Milk pouches really soon, so it may be worth thinking about it.

LD

JaysTeri
06-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Wouldn't a MT be hard to nurse in? Her big requirement is being able to nurse discreetly, which I was able to do with my ring sling and a nursing top. I have no experience with MT's or wraps, though.

kaylinsmommy2
06-07-2005, 02:57 PM
It depends on the use of the sling. I think a person would use a RS more when baby is a newborn, but a pouch more once older? But I don't have a RS so I don't know (I love my pouch - I used a mei tai when DD wwas younger 4-9 months old). I think if I were only to have one forever, I'd go with a RS... Plus, it makes it easier to adjust, and sizing of a pouch can be a deterrant for those who aren't sure...
I also never nursed in my pouch. I cannot figure out how to get it right. A RS would be great for that, rpobably.
Caroline
Kaylin 6/5/04

lenad
06-07-2005, 03:56 PM
You can definitely nurse in an MT. Can't compare to a RS as I have never tried one.

LD