PDA

View Full Version : Carrier to sling transition?

wookiemouse
06-21-2005, 02:51 PM
We may have a problem here. We have a Maya wrap (for me) and a Baby Bjorn (for DH). When DS was born (11 days ago), we started him in the Baby Bjorn since we've both been too sleep deprived to figure out the Maya wrap correctly. Now that we have the Maya wrap figured out, DS hates it - his favorite part of the BB is sitting up and looking around, which he can't do in the wrap.

I really wanted to use a sling for hands-free BFing. Has anyone successfully turned a carrier-happy baby into a sling-happy baby? Or should I just give up on the sling and be thankful he likes the carrier?

betsydenny
06-21-2005, 05:33 PM
Don't give up!! He is only 11 days old and has plenty of time to get used to the wrap. Maybe try a different position- tummy to tummy is like the bjorn.
I got great advice early on regarding slings- "If your baby cries when put in the stroller, do you ditch the stroller?"
That question has helped me have a bit of perspective on a number of fronts.
Anyway, hopefully other maya folks will weigh in. I was a KKAFP slinger myself and know the Maya has more going on so hopefully others will have more suggestions.
Hang in there.
Betsy

MamaParis
06-22-2005, 08:11 AM
I'm no help, but my kids have hated any type of sling or pouch - which was good because I didn't care for them myself - too much stuff going on and I always felt lopsided and not truly hands-free.
They much prefer the way they sat in the Bjorn.

Have you tried out a wrap of any sort? On my carrier search I found the wraps were the most well liked by my Bjorn-loving kids - I could face them in to me, face them out and so on.

Also, What about a Mei Tai carrier of sorts?

IMHO I wouldn't force a child to "adjust" to liking a soeciafic carrier just as I wouldn't force a child to adjust to liking a certain stroller. My kids refuse to sit in Combi strollers - so we don't own one ... they love their E3 stroller .. so thats what we use.

jmo

paris

Slingin_Momma
06-22-2005, 08:42 PM
You may try placing a receving blanket folded up a bit under him so he feels a little more supported. Also, he's only 11 days old...so give him time.

You also might try tummy 2 tummy position

You'll have to register at TBW to view this, but its free and fast!

http://www.thebabywearer.com/articles/HowToO/Pouches.htm

HTH!!!

JacksMommy
06-27-2005, 11:27 PM
What position are you carrying DS in in the wrap? I assume the cradle carry, which is the one where he is lying down in the sling. Neither one of my children liked the cradle carry at all, but did like the tummy-to-tummy (as other posters have suggested). When you put DS in the wrap, make sure that he is riding high (above your belly button) and that you have him tight and snug against your chest - that is more comfortable for both of you.

I generally think that if a baby doesn't like a sling, it's because mom has the wrong sling or needs to adjust it. So many of my clients have said their baby doesn't like slings only to find that when they adjusted the sling, baby was an instant fan.

Good luck!

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04