PDA

View Full Version : Ergo vs. Mei Tai

KrisM
06-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Okay, I have a frame backpack and I used it for the first time today. While Andrew was happy in it, I found it a bit tough on me since his center of gravity was so far behind me. So, I've been searching this forum looking for another alternative. It seems like an Ergo or Mei Tai would do it. I'd like to use it shopping and also for hiking (short trips). I have a couple questions.

Why should I get one over the other?
Is one easier to get a toddler on my back than the other?
Does one of them make it easier for the kid to look around?
Is one cooler for either mom or kid?
Where is the best place to buy them?
Any others I should consider instead?

I'll keep searching for these answers, since I'm sure they've been asked before!

Thanks for your help.

ETA: Andrew is 14 months, 24 lbs, 31 inches. Thought that might help :).

tarahsolazy
06-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Check out the Papatum, I think there's a link below for a store that sells it. Cheaper than the Ergo, and I like it WAY better. (I had an Ergo and sold it). For back carries, I think the Papatum (or Ergo for that matter) is much more comfy than a Mei Tai. The weight seems to transfer to the waist/hips better. I can carry DS on my back in the Kozy for an hour or two, but it makes my shoulders a tad sore. No pain with the Papatum. I have the Toddler version, BTW. I think the Mei Tai is great for front and hip carries, and is very versatile. I wouldn't want to hike with DS on my back in the Kozy, though, but would do it in a minute with the Papatum. DS can sort of sit back with the Papatum, and have his hands free more easily. I think he can see better and is more comfy in it. He seems squished against my back with the Kozy. I think they're both equally hot. I can get Forrest on my back easily with either, it took a bit of practice, but I've been wearing him on my back for about 8 months now, so he's used to it, and doesn't wiggle. He's about 30 inches and 26 lbs, I think.

KrisM
06-30-2005, 09:06 PM
What about the Papatum is better than the Ergo? It does look really similiar. I have a couple of hours to use my Diaper Hunt code and have a site that sells the Ergo, so only $83 or so, but still more than the Papatum.

KrisM
06-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Okay, I ordered a Patapum. It wasn't too much cheaper than the Ergo, but I found some info here and on thebabywearer.com, so I went with it. I paid $74, but got a free waist purse, which I was considering getting anyway before I noticed it was free. And, the site had free shipping for $75 or more, so I ordered a MOE insert and still saved $2 on the total cost. I'd been meaning to try those anyway.

Thanks for convincing me on the Patapum. I can't wait for it to get here!