PDA

View Full Version : pouch vs mei tai

mommabear
07-15-2005, 05:39 PM
I need help.
DS is 5mon now. I got one of Jans sbp ring slings with a long tail to nurse. Well nursing didn't work out and I can't seem to get the sling adjusted correctly. So I am wanting to try something new. I have been reading reviews on babywearer but need more help.
I like the idea of the simplicity of a pouch. Have been looking at hotslings, peanut shells and zolos. The hotslings seem the most popular but they are not adjustable,however they are padded.
I am 5'3" 180lb currently trying to get my baby weight off. I wear a 40DD bra. My son is about 16lbs.
Well I ve also come across mei tais and the new sling set (which I must say I find a bit confusing without seeing it in person). If I were to get this can I use one of the pouches as i would with a regular hotsling?
So for my size and my sons age what should I get
pouch?
mei tai?
sling set?
If i find it too confusing I won't use it.
Wish I could try these in person.
Thanks for any help.

toomanystrollers
07-16-2005, 05:57 AM
Take it from me, a mei tail is not the most flattering thing to wear while facing the battle of post baby bulge :)

I'd go for a pouch. I prefer adjustable ones such as the Mom 'n Me Creations' design.

HTH

meshell
07-16-2005, 10:18 AM
I have both and I love both for different reasons, so does DS. Right now, he's almost 4 months old, and has really good head control. I like the pouch for the poppability - easy ins and outs for around the house and quick errands. He loves being in there kangaroo style, so he can see out and look around. Occasionally, he'll fall asleep, but with looking around he usually doens't. Our Mei Tai, however, I use when we'll be in it for longer, shopping at the mall, longer walks, etc. The in-out factor takes a little longer than a pouch. He's front carry in that one, facing me-kind of tummy to tummy, so a lot of times he falls asleep since there is less stimulation (except for the smell of mommy's chest). The MT is definitely more comfortable for the longer carries.

HTH!

Karenn
07-16-2005, 11:39 AM
I have both, and really prefer my pouch. In fact, I never use my Mei Tai. It's just too cumbersome. Plus, I like to use it for back carry, and DD always pulls/eats my hair when I put her back there. I was able to figure out how to get it on, but like you said, "If I find it too confusing, I won't use it." That's sort of where I am with the Mei Tai- so I don't use it.

I use my (hotsling)pouch at least 2-3 times a week with my 9 month old. I have never worn it long enough that I've gotten tired of carrying her in it. I would never part with it. I can't say enough good things about it.

HTH,

mommabear
07-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I was able to find a zolo pouch locally and tried it on and it just didn't work. DS leaned to one side so much I know he would fall out. The lady at the store was helping me and neither of us could get it adjusted. So I think I am going to start off the either the hotsling or peanut shell. If that works out well I will probably add a mei tai or wrap to the collection.

gt97grad
07-20-2005, 03:57 PM
So can you use your hotsling to nurse? I'm thinking of purchasing one myself.

Karenn
07-20-2005, 06:34 PM
I've never used my hotsling to nurse, but I think I might remember seeing pictures of nursing babies on her website. You might check it out.

heatherlynn
07-22-2005, 07:39 AM
This is exactly how I feel. As a matter of fact, I thought I wrote this post! Anyway, I just can't believe how much I love my Hotsling. We just got back from the beach for a few days and I wish I had a solarveil one.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
and #3 edd 11/05 (it's a girl!)