PDA

View Full Version : Aren't ABC's and Mei Tei's just like Bjorns?

cara1
07-19-2005, 11:23 PM
DD is outgrowing the Bjorn. Well, not really, but my shoulders can't take it for long periods of time (>30 minutes). I'm thinking about a wrap, but worry that for quick jaunts from car to bagel store, I'll have trouble in the parking lot. Folks have suggested a mei tei (like the Kozy). But, it is still just two shoulder straps (versus a wrap), so wouldn't my shoulders still hurt? What's the difference compared to a Bjorn?

bethwl
07-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Actually, you also have waist straps and that is what makes it more comfortable. The waist straps raise the baby's butt up into a sort of fabric seat and your waist and hips support the baby. Then you have the shoulder straps pulling the baby in close to you body. And you can wear an ABC on front or back.

new_mommy25
07-20-2005, 12:26 AM
Like the PP said, the Bjorn puts weight on your hips and makes it much more comfortable. The other good thing is that it raises your childs knees above their bottom so they don't get any stress on their backs and hips. If you want something more structured than a mei tei then you might look into an Ergo, Sutemi, or Wilkinet.

Karenn
07-20-2005, 02:31 AM
I agree that an ABC doesn't hurt like a bjorn does because of the waist support. However I'm not sure I'd recommend it for quick jaunts from car to bagel store. It takes more effort than a bjorn to get situated. I use a Hotsling pouch for that kind of thing and it works beautifully. No pain and SO easy to get DD in and out. I think the Mei Tei is more of a put them in and plan on them staying for awhile kind of thing. (However, I don't really even use my Mei Tei for that, so maybe I'm just not a Mei Tei kind of girl... :) )

bethwl
07-23-2005, 09:54 PM
I agree that quick trips are not the MT's strong suit. For that I would probably recommend a hip carry in a pouch (and a Hotsling would be great, among many others). You can leave the pouch on your body and then pop the baby in pretty easily.