PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on a carrier- Hotsling vs. Zolo or other?

JTsMom
07-24-2005, 08:19 AM
All of this stuff is so overwhelming! I've gone through the posts here, and done a little research on my own, but I'm still having a hard time deciding what to get.

My son is 9 weeks old, and I'm looking for something that I'll be able to walk around and nurse with. I think that will be the main thing I use it for right now- he is very fussy when we leave the house, and nursing is the only thing that keeps him happy when we're out and about. Last weekend I walked around Linens and Things trying to nurse him and shop at the same time. I thought my arm was going to fall off!

We have a Bjorn (yeah, yeah, now I know!), and he isn't a big fan of that. I'm kind of worried he won't like any type of carrier, so I don't want to buy more than one. I'm debating between a Hotsling and a Zolo ring sling. The Hotsling seems simpler, but I don't think he'd like being so squished, and it doesn't seem as good for nursing as the Zolo.

The Zolo is, of course, pricier, but seems more versatile. This might be a stupid question, but when I watched the video on the sight on how to nurse in the sling, she said you put the baby's head on the side opposite the ring. What happens when you want to nurse on the other breast? Do you flip the sling around or what? That seems like it would be a pain.

Any other suggestions?
HELP!

Thanks,
Lori

tiapam
07-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Well, I am not the most experienced with baby carriers but this post needs a reply! I just got a hotsling and I wish I had gotten it sooner. DD is almost ten months and we are using it, but I wish I had it when she was younger. I have not really tried nursing in it, but I think it should be pretty easy, especially since your baby is still pretty young and small. Check out the techniques section of the wearing instructions to see nursing in action. Even with a hotsling you might want to reverse the sling for nursing on the other side. It has a seam where the baby's bottom goes. With a very young baby, you might get away with just flipping the baby, but I don't think it would work once they get a little bigger. But I have no IRL experience trying this!

My collection started with a Taylormade ring sling, then a mei tai, and now the hotsling. The hotsling is great for going out because it takes up the least amount of room in the diaper bag and is easy to pop the baby in and out of. I really think you should start with a Hotsling or other pouch. Someone suggested http://www.lucky-baby.com in another post and I have to say they are very cute, too. Not sure what the difference is, maybe they don't have any stretch fabrics??
They also seem to all be reversibles.

HTH. Happy shopping. If you get something that doesn't work for you, you can always sell or trade it. So don't be afraid to take the plunge!

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

sophiecat
07-29-2005, 01:28 PM
I have both (and others that don't get as much love) and these 2 are my favorites...kinda like asking which of my kids I like better :)

Anyways, the Zolo: I like for the key/pouch, silly, but I would be dead in the water w/o a place to put my keys/wallet, phone, etc. Zolo is more versatile, especially when they're small. You can't do a tummy to tummy in a pouch (hotsling) when they're little, in the zolo you can. EVERYWHERE we go, we get stopped to find out what/where you can get one. I can wear the zolo for days and no strain. Ok, we live in AZ, and it does get a bit warm (warmer than the hotsling), but I think less of an issue w/ the stretch cotton (I have the red cotton). Bonus, my husband will (try) to wear it, which he won't w/ the hotsling. To me, (I'm biased), but this is the best ring sling out there.

Hotsling: it is so compact (like a size 5 diaper when folded up small), incredibly 'poppable', the fabric is really light, cool color selections, it is cheaper. Bad, it isn't adjustable and if I'm gonna wear something all day, I tend to go for my zolo. For around the house, and everyday errands, I tend to pick this one.

So, in my opinion, you *need* both :) cuz a sling and pouch are just really different. (How many slings does one really 'need'....)

Breastfeeding: I breastfed my son for a year and my daughter currently (8 weeks). I know you can breastfeed in a sling/pouch, I have never been real successful at either. I basically just eject (or partially eject) them and then use the sling as a cover and sit down.
Ok, hope this helps,
Sarah

Edensmum
07-31-2005, 07:49 PM
I have nursed in a ring sling often. I know it says to put their heads away from the rings, but honestly I found it easier to nurse with dd's head on the same size as the rings. It held it up high enough for her to be latched on while I was walking around etc. It also gave more privacy. I would just switch the baby when I wanted to switch sides. It's not hard, and if you nurse two feedings on one side instead of switching it doesn't make a difference.
I have not tried a pouch, but that is next I think.
Eden 9/04