PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for "bjorn-like" carrier??

annasmom
07-27-2005, 07:49 AM
I am looking for something to replace my Bjorn. It is killing my back, and after reading some recent posts, I am concerned that it isn't giving my ds proper support. I would like something hands free and easy to use. Wraps and ring slings intimidate me, that's why I am looking for something "bjorn-like" - very easy to use. I have a hotsling and a KKAFP, and while I love them both, I don't feel as though I have full range of motion. Any suggestions??? TIA!

knaidel
07-27-2005, 08:34 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but do you want something that is similar to bjorn, but better? :) I would take a look at
a Mei Tai, Ergo, Sutemi, or First Journey/Baby Trekker (2 different carriers made by the same company). I have a first journey and it works similar to he Bjorn, except there's a waist belt, which takes a lot of the weight off your shoulders and back.
Does that help you at all?

annasmom
07-27-2005, 08:38 AM
I'm sorry I wasn't clear. Yes, I want something similar to the Bjorn, but better - more support, but still really easy to get the baby in and out. Also, I want something that doesn't restrict the use of your arms. Are Mei Tai's hard to use??

meshell
07-27-2005, 11:59 AM
I don't think Mei Tai's are hard to use at all. DS is four months old now, and we just started using the MT on a regular basis. It's been great.

We also have a patapum which we like a lot as well. It's a little more structured than a MT (more like a Bjorn), but very comfortable since it bears weight much like a MT. I think easy-in, easy-out factor is greater with the patapum than the MT since you don't have to deal with all the tying and untying.

HTH!

crayonblue
07-27-2005, 02:18 PM
If you are looking for something like the Bjorn, I would go with the Sutemi. I started with a Bjorn, then tried the Baby Trekker then an Ergo and then the Sutemi. They are all Bjorn-like and the Sutemi is by far the best, in my opinion. I LOVE that carrier!

Java
07-27-2005, 11:03 PM
Depends also on the age of your DS. My Kozy was great when Kael was young(er) but as he got bigger and heavier it wasn't as comfy for him. Probably due to how tight I had to tie him in for it to be comfy for me.

I switched over to the Ergo and it's great. He's comfortable and so am I. The weight distribution is at my hips so Kael's 27 lbs. isn't an issue. Also a plus is the easy-use buckles. I'm thin so the tie straps on the Kozy had to be practically wrapped around twice and looked messy.

Canna
07-29-2005, 12:54 PM
We have an Ergo, which DH and I both like, and also a Mei Tai (which I sewed!). The Mei Tai is probably the more comfortable of the two, but the Ergo is so easy to pop on and off - that's really nice too. We like them both.

NYSarah
08-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Eileen --
I think you would be happy with one of the front carriers suggested (I have a babyfairies ABC/Mei Tai that I love, personally!), but if you feel you need more structure, we also have (for DH and for when DD is too fussy for the ABC - which happens a lot because she is more restricted than in the allobaby) an AlloBaby carrier, which is a lot like a bjorn except for two crucial things -- there is a much wider padded "seat" under baby, so you aren't putting pressure on her spine; and there is a wide waistband to move most of the weight to your hips/waist. I find it very comfortable (with a 20lb DD!).
And they're just $19.99 on clearance! :D

Marissa
08-02-2005, 12:39 PM
How about a wrap carrier like a Hug a Bub? It's similar in that you can carry the baby facing out or in, but is wonderful for your back.

sophiecat
08-08-2005, 11:39 PM
I'm not a fan of the bjorn style, but I respect your need to find something like it. If you're set on that style, a wilkinet worked well for us when our babes were small go to http://www.wilkinet.co.uk/
I would go to www.thebabywearer.com and see all the different carriers though and also the support for different carriers. Good luck,
Sarah