PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for the best Mei Tai. Please help....

rousselab
08-05-2005, 05:53 PM
I am very interested in purchasing a Mei Tai. I have read many websites and reviews, but would like to hear from people who have tried Mei Tais made by various people. Which did you find the most comfortable and why? I am 5"6' and 135 lbs, and my DH is 6'2" and 215 lbs. Our DD is 9 months old, very long, and has a lean build. At her 6 month appt. she weighed 14 lbs. Thanks so much for any suggestions that you can offer! :)

gour0
08-07-2005, 08:24 AM
I don't have an infant to try these with yet, but I have a Sachi and a Kolamo. I have a bunch more that I'm dying to try as well. Do you live near any babywearing groups? www.nineinnineout.org
That's a great way to try before you buy. Or, you could buy one that appeals to you and re-sell it on www.thebabywearer.com They seem to hold their value very well.

Here's a new one I just saw last night:
http://www.angelbabyslings.com/pages/seratai.php

It looks like it has a lot of features that would be good.

smbirth
08-10-2005, 07:22 AM
Have you checked out Thebabywearer.com ??? Alot of reviews and great places to ask questions. Everyone is so nice and helpful!!

I have an old style Ellaroo MT www.ellaroo.com and a Happy Cruiser www.happyslings.com and really like them both. I have a Freehand coming today and cant wait!!! www.freehandbaby.com the Freehand is supposed to be absolutely fabulous.

Also people seem to love the Kozy www.kozycarrier.com and the Sachi www.sachi.com.

I hope I got the links right!!!!

Happy MT hunting!!! It can make you crazy cant it??? Let us know what you decide on!!

sophiecat
08-14-2005, 10:48 AM
My favorite lately is by mei tai baby. (meitaibaby.com) What I love about it is that it has this little adjustable thing at the base so you can make it smaller between the legs when they're little, because my 9 week old balks and having her legs spread real far, but HAS to have them out. My 19 month old likes this one too, because it doesn't block his view right now. If she were like my son, and like them in, a kozy would be good.

I do have to say that there is no *best* carrier, just some really good ones and some different preferences. For instance, the kozy has the biggest body and is a little firm compared to a boopa pakka, which the latter has some of the wider angled straps. The ones most people like are: kozy, sachi, kolamo (no longer sold, but merged w/ ellaroo-new one out this month), boopa pakka. But there are lots of other good ones. You and your dh should be able to share a MT, although make sure you know the strap length of each, because he might be at the outer end of tying them w/some of them. See www.thebabywearer.com and don't be overwhelmed, just start poking through the site, especially "forum/chat" and look at the top for Sticky: MT comparison and then go to choosing a carrier and htis should help. Finaly the "product directory" has every mei tai on the internet listed.

Finally, I do think that a Mei Tai at this age is the best and wish I had known more with my son. They can't walk, but they wanna see *everything* and be moving and this is the best for your back, cuz they're starting to feel like you're carrying concrete. I think when they start walking and getting ornery (15+ months), you might need a good ring sling for hip carry and ups/downs.
Ok, good luck,
Sarah

sophiecat
08-14-2005, 10:58 AM
> The ones most people like are: kozy,
>sachi, kolamo (no longer sold, but merged w/ ellaroo-new one
>out this month), boopa pakka. But there are lots of other
>good ones.

What a dingbat--I totally forgot some really, really good ones, freehand and babyhawk. Matter of fact, I think people might agree that freehand and kozy are the gold standards in Mei Tais,
Sorry--running on no sleep ;)
Sarah

meshell
08-15-2005, 01:49 AM
I have a FreeHand MT and I love it. I got mine at Attachedtobaby.com
They have some beautiful Amy Butler prints.

rousselab
08-15-2005, 09:39 AM
I have decided on a Sera Tai, and it should be here any day now. Have also ordered a Leo Storch. Can't wait! Thanks again for everything! :)

gour0
08-15-2005, 12:53 PM
Please please post a review when you get your Sera Tai. I really like the looks of it and it's on my 'wish list'.

rousselab
08-15-2005, 08:55 PM
I'll post once I receive the Sera Tai. Received the Leo Storch wrap today and LOVE it! She feels as light as a feather and DD is so close to me. DH loves it too!

smbirth
08-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Just replying that I did recieve my Freehand and absolutely love it!! Very comfortable and well made!

Now my name is up on the Kozy list---cant wait to try that one out.

sophiecat
08-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Whooohooo! Go for the wrap, mama! I never suggest those as I think people need to be in the shallow end of the pool for a while (pouches or slings) then move on--but enjoy your wrap! I think they are the BEST for this age, just gotta figure out the wraps (yes even better than aMT)Ciao,