PDA

View Full Version : carrier for 6 month old?

martycw
08-08-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm new to this topic... I've been using a Bjorn and I have a hip hammock, but I didn't know there were other options. It seems like the slings etc. are mostly for tiny babies? Is that wrong? What are the options for older babies? Thanks for the help!

Canna
08-08-2005, 02:10 PM
My DD is 6.5 months old and 90th percentile for weight and height. Here's what I find working for us in different ways. And yes...we have quite a few carriers.

In order from most comfortable to least comfortable:

Mei Tai/Asian Baby Carrier - it is still very comfortable for me to wear her on my front in this. I would put her in this rather than a stroller for going to the mall or a museum, for example. DH also wears this. Can still be used for a while after 6 months.

Ergo - not quite as comfy but quick to put on. Great for airports or something to toss on quickly at home if I need to do laundry or cook or carry something big down the stairs. DH likes this as well. And it can be used for a long time to come.

Unpadded ring sling - Mine's a Maya...it's not comfortable any more for really long walking trips, but it's easy to toss on for short trips in stores and it's good for nursing in.

Unpadded pouch - My favorite is a Lucky Baby. I keep this in the car in case I need it and have forgotten other carriers. Just today I used it to carry DD around Target for about 45 minutes and it was pretty comfortable. Super easy to use.

DebbieJ
08-08-2005, 02:10 PM
You can use a sling for any size or age baby! Most have a weight limit of about 35 lbs.

My ds is 20 mo and we still use a ring sling, pouch, and mei tai on a regular basis.

For a six month old, I'd recommend a ring sling or an adjustable pouch. It's adjustable, so you can use it for different types of carries, and it will grow with you and your babe.

Ring slings:
www.zolowear.com (use code MDC for free shipping)
www.sleepingbaby.net
www.mayawrap.com (although you can buy these elsewhere as well. I got mind pretty cheap on eBay)

Adjustable pouches:
www.kangaroocorner.com
www.momandmepouch.com

Also, check out www.thebabywearer.com for TONS more info on different carrier types and where to buy them.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif