PDA

View Full Version : Kelty Backpack Question...

Ginny
08-10-2005, 07:42 PM
My DH and I are leaving tomorrow with our 4 month old for a long weekend of visiting Mount Ranier. We're trying to figure out if the baby is ready to be carried in our Kelty backpack or not. She holds her head up pretty well, but doesn't sit up one her own unsupported yet. I'd really appreciate any advice from those who have used backpacks (or not) with babies this age.

Thanks!

Ginny
Daughter born 4/08/05
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

feierabend35
08-17-2005, 10:46 AM
I wanted to bump this up and ask a related question.

My DH wants me to find a Kelty-or-the-like backpack carrier for our upcoming arrival and I had a few questions to start my search. We would like to use it for walks, hikes, etc. . . we have two dogs and think that it would be a nice alternative to a stroller when we are at our cabin on gravel roads, hiking, etc--- and a good workout! I would like to get an idea of what I want and then find one used on the Yahoo group or Ebay.

My questions are:
**What is a good middle-of-the-road carrier IYE? I know even Kelty makes MANY models. My DH is 6'2" and I am 5'8" so I don't know if we'd need adjustable height or not.
**At what age have you been successful using it (like Ginny's ?)?

TIA for any of your thoughts!
JENN :)

MarisaSF
08-17-2005, 11:05 AM
I'd suggest going to a store like REI first just to get a sense of how the packs fit. Then you can go ahead and compare features. REI, IME, carries a few (perhaps the most popular?) models, and one of them probably has the features you want. I'd suggest the most padded straps and I'd want the waist and sternum straps.

I'd start there because I was dead-set on a Kelty pack and found that it did not fit me AT ALL. So sad. I am not petite either, but the pack was HUGE. It probably would have fit my DH though.

Sherpani makes packs supposedly built for women. Madden makes nice packs too.

feierabend35
08-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks for your experience. I was hoping I could figure it out without having to go to the store, as we do not live near an REI or such store. Has anyone tried/have one they like?
Jenn :)

npace19147
08-19-2005, 09:40 PM
One alternative is to go with a soft pack carrier instead of a structured frame carrier, like an Ergo, Sutemi or Patapum. These are generally more comfortable for both moms and dads to use b/c they are lighter in weight. But it also depends on what kind of hiking you're doing - soft pack is fine for light hiking, but for more serious stuff you'd want to stick with a frame carrier.