PDA

View Full Version : Ques for Hotsling users...

jacquiro
08-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Hi all. I just received my 1st Hotsling (had bought a no-name pouch locally but it was much too big- db loved it though). I'm reading the directions online and it says to put the sling on your non-dominant shoulder- do most people do this? I'm a righty and am more comfortable w/it on my right shoulder. Also, they show the cradle carry w/db's head sticking out- is this necessary or can dd's head go inside so she can sleep? Thanks.

heatherlynn
08-21-2005, 06:41 PM
I was kind of just thinking about this. I carry DS on my left hip and have my HS on my right shoulder, which is my dominant one. However, for the next baby, I'm sure I would put the HS on my left shoulder (non-dominant) for cradle and other holds since that's how I tend to hold babies. I hope this makes sense.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
and #3 edd 11/05 (it's a girl!)

suzhatch1
08-21-2005, 07:00 PM
I think you can put the fabric of the pouch on which ever shoulder feels most comfortable for you. I am right handed & prefer my pouch over my left shoulder. Reason is, when I spread the fabric out very wide it cups my left shoulder and limits my ability to move it around as much as I'd like. I can still move it around (didn't want you to think it makes you feel like a frozen mummy or anything), but I would prefer to have my right arm as free as possible.

As for cradle carry, yes, your baby can lay back fully reclined with their head inside the pouch. My DD laid in a full cradle for almost the first 4-6 wks. Just recently (she's 2 mo) she's starting to get a bit big for a full reclined cradle, plus I don't think she likes having the fabric fully around her head so much now that she likes to look around. So now whhen I put her in the pouch she sits in a semi-reclined cradle position. Her legs are inside the pouch for the most part laid out, but her head & upper body sit in an L-position so that her head can stick out and she can lean against my chest. She can either look out at everyone when she sits this way, or she just leans against me and falls asleep with her head out of the pouch & against my chest.

HTH!
Suz :)

Karenn
08-21-2005, 09:29 PM
I also wear it on the non-dominant shoulder, as a lefty. I like having my left arm free to do stuff, especially sign credit card receipts when we're out shopping. :) Other than having your dominant hand more free, I can't think of a reason why you couldn't wear it on your dominant shoulder.

DD did not have her head sticking out in the cradle position when she was sleeping.

HTH,

npace19147
08-21-2005, 11:26 PM
I switch off and I always recommend to people that they do this if possible. If you switch shoulders then your muscles build up more evenly and as your baby gets bigger your ability to switch sides increases how long you can hold them. You'll probably have one side that feels more comfortable and natural to you, but try the other side out, it may feel better than you think. :)

jacquiro
08-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks...guess I'll have to try it a couple of different ways to see. I just wish it weren't so hard to get dd in it!

michlyn
08-23-2005, 10:35 PM
DD was not a fan of the hotsling in the early weeks. She would cry whenever I put her in it. I'd go for walks and eventually she would fall asleep (her head was tucked inside). I wear it on the non-dominant side, largely because I like having my right hand free, and I always cradle her naturally that way.

Once she had better head control, I did the kangaroo hold, and she loved it (except she's now too big to do it comfortably). I need to master t2t and the hip carry.

ckate1
08-27-2005, 02:44 PM
I am investigating pouches for #2 due in mid Nov. My question: Is being able to switch shoulders a good reason to choose a non-adjustable pouch over an adjustable pouch (the snaps will show if you move an adjustable pouch from the chosen shoulder- although I've read they'll only really show in the hip carry- is this true?)? I like the possibilty of sharing one pouch with DH (I'm tall 5'8" and he is not a giant of guy 5'10", although he is bigger around), and an adjustable might fit us both. But I also like the simplicity of the non-adjustable and the fact that you can use it on either shoulder. Also, I think the rows of snaps on the adjustable look funny- although I have never seen one on irl. Help!

-ckate1
dd 11-03
edd 11-05

suzhatch1
08-27-2005, 03:08 PM
ckate1 -

Honestly, I think once you start wearing your baby in a pouch you will find that you won't be changing shoulders. You will immediately know which shoulder your pouch feels most comfortable on & it will be your "shoulder of choice". I've tried wearing DD in a pouch on my "opposite" shoulder & it feels akward. It's like when you are right handed & try to write with your left hand. You can do it, but it's just not right.

I am right handed, and I chose to wear the pouch on my left shoulder. This allows me to keep my right hand very free to touch and play with DD in the pouch, as well as do everything else. I can still use my left hand & arm plenty, but it is limited just a tiny bit because the fabric cups the shoulder and restricts me from say, lifting my left hand way above my head, LOL!! As if I'd be doing that anyway!

I think if you are thinking about an adjustable, it should be for reasons of multiple users wearing the pouch, or maybe if it's your first pouch immediately after giving birth...these would be reasons that the size of your pouch may need to change. Otherwise, go with a fitted pouch, once you get the correct fit it will feel like a dream!

HTH!
Suz :)

ckate1
08-28-2005, 01:07 PM
Thanks for your help, Suz! I am also right handed, but use my left arm/side to carry my toddler, so that my right hand is free to do everything else. I think having the pouch on my right shoulder might make carrying her still possible, although I realize my right arm might be somewhat restricted. Also, it might be ridiculous to think I'll be able to carry a 30 lb. toddler AND a newborn in a pouch. That said I think I'd have much more movement with my right arm with the pouch on my left shoulder. I think I'll order a non-adjustable for me first and figure out which shoulder I like it best on, and then see if my husband and I could share an adjustable, and get it for my preferred shoulder (I think he'll be flexible on this). Thanks for your input, it's definitely helped me narrow my choices. Now if Hotslings and Peanut Shell would just get their Fall fleece colors in I could start daydreaming about my new pouch!

Thanks again,
ckate1