PDA

View Full Version : zolo -- what's the exponential difference from other ring slings??

zen_bliss
07-21-2003, 04:46 PM
what about it is so different from other ring slings that justifies the price? i don't mean this to knock zolo at all, i am genuinely curious. what is the IT FACTOR about it other than the zippered pocket (which isn't a real draw for me) and the gorgeous fabrics offered? i've been missing the boat on this one. my favorite ring sling is one that i had custom made with my choice of brocade & silk combo, and altogether it was less than a third of the zolo price. i use it daily, and it is holding up beautifully. i've been curious about this for a while -- can some multiple-sling-owning moms weigh in here?

if it's a 'design engineering' tweak & a comfort factor, i'll have to try to jump in on the sale :) i am a bona fide carrier junkie and since it's my back health at stake, cost can be easily justified! i am thinking as a comparison example, the kangaroo korner slings are just in a completely different league from any other pouch slings. they're pricey, but once you have one, you *get* why it's 100% worth it -- the lycra binding, the pouch depth and shape are very refined in design.

thanks in advance!

lizamann
07-21-2003, 05:28 PM
I can't answer your question, Zenbliss, since I don't have mine yet. But I did order one after my husband fixed us martinis the other night and we were both feeling happy and carefree!

Anyway, I was wondering where you had your sling custom-made? Do you like it?

Thanks for sharing,
Beth

mama2be
07-21-2003, 06:05 PM
I'm not a sling guru...only have two for me the fleece KK and my zolo...and then Steve has the "manly man one"...

BUT I think it is the fabric and how much of it is used...and the true "engineering" of it...it is beautifully made...It is very detailed and gotta say I love mine. With that said I've seen the pics of your and think they are absolutely gorgeous too...

There is a seller on Ebay who even said that if she got me this fabric used on the Zolo it is more expensive than the fabrics she normally sells...at $14 a yard that is a huge chunk of the price I would assume..

I have to add I have for a second doubted my decision to get one (not on sale:( )...I really feel great in it and love it so much...

I save on many things and other things I splurge on...

egoldber
07-21-2003, 07:26 PM
What sold me was Deborah's (uccomama) description of the shoulder design. Some ring slings (the Maya is a good example) are hard for many people to wear properly on their shoulder. It can be impossible to both have your baby in the right position AND have the rings in the right place to be comfortable. The Zolo is supposed to have a very cleverly designed shoulder configuration that makes it very easy to get in the proper position.

So I jumped on the Zolo bandwagon when they announed the sale. I hope to have mine this week to see. And if I don't like it, or think it is "the thing", then I have 30 days to get a full refund. :)

IansMom04
07-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Hi
I would be really curious to know what you think after you get it. Do you have a Maya that you can compare it too? I am really curious to know if it stands up to its claims on comfort, fabric aside.

Thanks
Chantal

Jan Andrea
07-21-2003, 08:43 PM
I made her slings, if I may be so bold as to toot my own horn :) I used sewn-in overlapping pleats, rather than the simple accordion fold that MayaWraps use -- I have directions on how to do it (free) on my website. I'd love to see a Zolo in person myself -- I've had their ring-end described to me, but couldn't really visualize it. But I've been pretty happy with the overlapping pleats, as have other women who've used my directions and written to me, so it's more an idle curiosity.

Calmegja
07-21-2003, 09:07 PM
I have a Maya, and one Zolo, second one on the way (and about a dozen other sling/carriers, but we'll just gloss over that for tonight).

The shoulder design is superior. Deb explained it best in a post awhile back, but the Maya has shoulder design that makes it difficult to stay positioned correctly.

The number one reason you'll get pain from wearing a sling is from having the rings positioned improperly. It will make the sling pull on your shoulder, and your back, and the baby won't be positioned properly. Above your waist and drawn into your center of gravity makes for more comfortable carrying.

The Zolo's pleated design, and ribbon connections at the shoulder make a corsage of sorts that just about guarantees you'll put the rings in the right place, and once there, it will stay there.

I have another ring sling, a Solarveil ring sling, and it also works much better than the MAya, because that shoulder design is better, too. The Maya has a tendency to pull, and pull hard on your shoulder, and even when properly adjusted, it just won't stay put the way that a Zolo will.

In my opinion, the Zolo is worth every penny of its price, because of its sheer user friendliness, the better fabric choices, and the superior shoulder design.

I said in another post that I thought I was a sling incompetent with my Maya. I realize now how underwhelmed I truly was with it. Then I got my Solarveil, and my first Zolo, and it was like a lightbulb went off. A properly designed ring sling is a pleasure to wear, and truly works amazingly well.

My two favorite carriers in the world are the adjustable fleece pouches, and the Zolowear slings. After trying out a ridiculous amount of other slings and carriers, I know that with those carriers, I could do anything I needed to do. Like the original poster said, once you get the KK fleece pouch, you see what the shouting's about. This is the same kind of leap in comfort and design, in my opinion.

All right, enough cheerleading for tonight :+ You may now resume your regularly scheduled programming.....

justlearning
07-21-2003, 10:04 PM
This thread is interesting to read. Here's my question to those of you who have both the Zolo and the KK fleece pouch...during colder months, when would you choose to use the Zolo instead of the fleece pouch and vice versa?

Calmegja
07-22-2003, 08:02 AM
I can put on a pouch, and wear it under my coat while driving, running errands. It goes on and stays on, at least for me. I would think for errand running, and quick ins and outs of store, the fleece pouch would be what I use the most, especially in the winter, because I dress my baby lightly in the car for car seat safety, and the fleece gives him an extra layer of weather protection. And it would be harder for me to put my own coat on over a ring sling, but I can also see putting the Zolo in the stroller basket, getting into the mall with the kids, and then putting the Zolo on and popping whatever child into it.

I will wear the Zolo for days when we don't have lots of ins and outs for days when my 3 year old will need a lift, too (it's easier to adjust it out for her to fit in a Zolo), and for the days when I don't want to carry a purse.

Honestly, I think I'll use the pouches and the Zolos according to what mood I'm in. That's why I'm glad I have both kinds, because I know I will get good use out of both types....

stillplayswithbarbies
07-22-2003, 09:48 AM
I don't have a Zolo yet, but I have a fleece pouch and a ring sling (and several others). I would say that for a newborn, I would use the fleece pouch. Also for a new sling users, the fleece pouch is easier. I'm glad I had it to start out with, it gave me the confidence to wear my baby.

The ring sling has a learning curve, but once you figure it out and practice and gain confidence, I think it is better for a baby who is not a newborn anymore. I can easily adjust it to her mood, whether she wants to face out or in. But now that I think about it, the fleece pouch will work that way too and without adjusting rings etc.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mama2be
07-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Jan thanks for sharing...you put a lot of time into what you do that is obvious...I am certain anyone purchasing one of your slings would be lucky...
I've marked your site under my "rolodex: :)...

Calmegja
07-22-2003, 01:17 PM
Those are just gorgeous!

zen_bliss
08-25-2003, 11:12 PM
greetings again,

i've gotten a bunch of emails, so i hope it's ok if i answer them all here.

Rev. Jan made my silk brocade ring slings. She invented a new magic reversible pleat (based on the pleat on her website) so I can easily wear either side of my sling depending on mood/wardrobe. they do not slip at all. I use these every day, even in the heat. Can't say if this or the KK cotton is hotter really. the silk textures do have a cooling effect. I also use it as a pretty blanket tucked around her legs in the stroller. I find the ring sling much easier for BFing because the generous tail covers her head & wraps around to tuck in my waistband, covering where i pulled my shirt up. when it is truly sweltering, only the solarveil mesh will do.

I got my brocade on eBay from www.silk4you.com (do a search by seller). you could also do a search for "silk brocade y*" (the "y*" is for yard, yardage, yds, etc.) He sells brocades in 2 yard lots that go for about $6 (!). it's the same brocade as the black zolo dragon design. his selection is limited to the dragon/phoenix and the simpler cherry blossoms, but they are both lovely and in a variety of colors. it is sturdy, washable and stays soft & shiny after going through the dryer. this would be a great fabric for anything you are thinking of having custom made. He is super easy to work with -- you can buy additional yardage at your auction win price, he charges flat shipping, and ships priority mail immediately. very happy with my purchases from him.

the silk i got was also from eBay, and it was just lucky timing on a few lots in the colors & sizes I wanted from a seller cleaning out her mom's sewing closet. It is a silk crepe. the lighter color shows through the back pattern of the brocade, but it looks very nice.

the groovy thing i discovered when i was airing out my sling, all unfurled, after a spot clean is that after the sling is retired, it will make a gorgeous fabric drape in a room, perhaps over the kiddo's bed headboard!

hope that answers all your questions! i can't recommend jan highly enough, and her reversible design is great. i am looking for some cotton print & solid to get another less dressy one so DH can wear it!

Maria K
08-21-2005, 09:45 PM
I am trying to read as much as I can about carriers ... almost bought a Bjorn.

I don't know how I'll do with this so I'm leary to spend much money. I've seen sleepingbaby.net and see that they have relativly low prices. Any suggestions?

- Maria
Hoping to adopt in December!

MarisaSF
08-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Whoa-- this thread was tripping me out as Neve had her old screen name (and only one child!), etc. Then I realized it was from "the old days."

Anyway, Maria, welcome to the boards and good luck with your adoption! I'd suggest you go over to the forum called "Places to go: Carriers" -- lots of good advice there on slings and Bjorns, etc. Tons of people to answer questions. Best to you!!

Maria K
08-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Yea, I saw it was an old thread, but it came up when I did a search for sleepingbaby.net I have looked at the carrier section... I will post over there again.
Thanks!
- Maria

tarahsolazy
08-22-2005, 09:29 PM
I do not own a Zolo, but have seen them. I do own two of Jan Andrea's slings from sleepingbaby.net , and I think they are flawless and have an extremely comfortable shoulder design, which is really what makes or breaks a ring sling. Try one, the price is right!