PDA

View Full Version : Pouch - Buy it now or after baby arrives?

LucyG
09-15-2005, 01:41 PM
I would kind of like to make a sling/pouch decision so I could have something ready to go when the baby arrives. I know that it's hard to get accurate measurements once you're pg and bigger than usual, so that's one reason I don't want to wait a long time before making a decision. I'm 14 weeks pg right now, but not showing at all yet, nor any bigger in the bust area. I just want to maximize the amount of time I can use the sling (particularly when the baby is a newborn), and I don't want to spend the first four months of his/her life trying various slings/pouches out. Would it be crazy to buy one or more things without having a baby to try them out in? I have a 25 lb. two-and-a-half year old, but that's a far cry from a newborn! Thanks!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
nursed for 2.5 years!
And . . . Blessing #2 due in March!

Momof3Labs
09-15-2005, 01:44 PM
No, it's not crazy IF you are buying an adjustable style, particularly a ring sling or mei tai style. You may do okay with an adjustable pouch too. I just wouldn't try to buy a non-adjustable pouch right now unless you can return it after baby is here.

LucyG
09-15-2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks, Lori! I'm considering a Hotsling and a KKAFP or Mom-n-Me pouch. The baby is due in March (nearing warm weather where we live), but I would like to use the KKAFP or MnM for a couple of the newborn months before it gets too hot here. Wouldn't a pouch be better for a newborn than a Hotsling? I think I could pick the pouch back up for use again in the fall, don't you? The reason I'm also thinking of a Hotsling is to give me something to use in the spring or summer.

Sheesh. I thought I'd done all the hard work in choosing a stroller, car seat, etc. for baby #1. Who knew about the carrier choices? :-)

I need to spend some time reading the Babywearer forums, but my head is already spinning.

ETA - I know that many people love ring slings, but I'm afraid of learning to use one, frankly, and I don't know that the "look" is my style.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
nursed for 2.5 years!
And . . . Blessing #2 due in March!

Momof3Labs
09-15-2005, 02:39 PM
I'd say that it is relatively safe to go with a KKAFP or Mom & Me pouch now, but probably not a Hotsling, from the sizing perspective. And yes, you could use a fleece pouch again in the fall.

I didn't think that the style of ring slings would suit me either, but when I tried one and found out how wonderful it was to have that inifinite adjustability (especially nice if you want to nurse in the sling), any concerns over fashion went out the window! Also, once I had used a pouch for a while, a ring sling was a breeze.

gour0
09-15-2005, 09:07 PM
I got my non-adjustable pouch while I was pg. It fits fine right now. Do you remember how much weight you gained/lost with your 1st? It might help you determine how big you will be after you deliver. I weigh almost exactly the same amount I did after I gave birth to my son and I honestly did not lose the weight from him. So, when I hit that weight this time, I measured and bought my pouch. Hotslings has a calculator. You fill in your height and weight and shoulder measurement and it tells you which size(es) you should be in. Hotslings also have a pretty good resale value if you get it and it turns out to be the wrong size.

JacksMommy
09-16-2005, 01:22 PM
The Ajdustable Pouches (KKAFP and MNM) are fabulous and will serve you well until the hot weather months. You can always buy a hotsling for summer once you know that pouches are your thing.

Ring slings are pretty easy to use although I also prefer the look of a pouch. If you have issues with adjustability, you might decide to go for a ring sling later on.

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

nadmad
09-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Definitely have some pouches ready before the baby arrives. DS spends his first 2 months in a pouch, basically. I had a hotsling, which was ok....but my favorite pouch now is theslingset.com
great fabric, and deep enough. i know lots and lots of ppl love hotsling, but their measurement is always off for me (i've tried 3 hotslings). goo-ga.com is also great.

melbb
09-19-2005, 05:59 PM
You can wait until you are in your 8th month and buy one since some have 30-day return policies. Or, like other pp said, you can always sell it if it doesn't work out for you.