PDA

View Full Version : Son hates carriers. What to do?

set81616
11-19-2005, 06:36 PM
My 6 week old son cries in every carrier I've tried. Moby wrap, sling, Bjorn and Snugli. If I put him in when he is asleep he'll stay asleep. When awake it's no way. He likes being held without a wrap or swaddled. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Shannon

julieakc
11-19-2005, 08:23 PM
When you are just holding him, what position does he like to be held in? I am thinking that maybe you can try a carrier (or carry position) that mimics the way he likes to be held. Have you tried a simple pouch? Do you think it's the fabric he doesn't like...maybe a fleece pouch?

I know I'm probably not much help, but just trying to throw out some thoughts. I'm sure some of the other gals will have some ideas for you too.

deannanb
11-19-2005, 09:28 PM
I never tried a pouch with DS - but my friend has been using one since her daughter was born in September and loves it! She has the Lucky Baby - www.lucky-baby.com

DS loved being in the Bjorn - and then a wrap once I learned about them. I couldn't get the hang of a sling when he was small, but I started using it when he could sit up and it is wonderful.

Don't give up.... you will find what works fo you.

Check out www.mamatoto.org and www.thebabywearer.com

They are both great websites to learn more about wearing your baby!

set81616
11-20-2005, 05:48 PM
He likes being held in the cradle position or against my chest so I can pat his back.
Shannon

julieakc
11-20-2005, 05:58 PM
It would be very easy to hold him in a cradle position in a pouch..he might be a little young for chest to chest in a pouch (I don't know what the age recommendation is). As a pp mentioned thebabywearer.com has lots of information. Do you know anyone who has a pouch that you could test drive? Or a store near you that would let you try it out. IMO it does seem like a pouch might work.

Again, good luck.

sidmand
11-21-2005, 08:04 AM
I had the same problem, although it did turn out that DS liked the Bjorn okay (after all the other slings/pouches I tried!). But he did like a Mei Tei which held him similar to his position in the Bjorn and would hold your DS upright so you could pat his back. And now, finally, after five months, I just used my Hotsling and KKAFP to hold him in the hip carry and he seemed fine with that. Just so you know that if it turns out that nothing works now except holding him, it may not be that way forever! I was ready to give up on everything, but DS was getting WAY too heavy to hold (almost 20 lbs and killing my back) and I'm so glad that the slings may work afterall.

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png (http://lilypie.com)

Canna
11-21-2005, 12:13 PM
I would say, keep trying and wait a bit. Oh, and start moving when you put your DS in any carrier.

My DD was not a huge fan of slings and carriers at first, but she really got to like them later. At first she liked only the fleece pouch. Now she likes all kinds of carriers. Your options and their enjoyment increases a lot once they have more head control. DD never liked laying down in the cradle position in a sling unless she was already fast asleep.

cushy
11-21-2005, 01:18 PM
I would say try a pouch. It keeps the baby high and snug against you. I have a Kangaroo Korner adjustable fleece pouch. My baby is 6 weeks old. We've been using it for about three weeks. The key is to start moving as soon as you put the baby in, and preferably outside. I'm not sure why, but being outside is key. And don't support the baby while you walk, just let them bounce around (it seems a little weird at first). He didn't like it the first few times, then he stayed calm for progressively longer periods. I've used the belly to belly from the beginning, but he's recently started to like facing out. The great thing about this carrier is that in the facing out position, his head is still fully supported by my chest. He falls asleep in it very quickly, and I can even sleep on my back once he's asleep in it because it's so snug he won't fall out. I love this pouch- I call it the magic pouch because it's the only thing that keeps him calm for long periods. He'll sleep in it for up to four hours. I am going to look into an Ergo or mei tai though, because the one shoulder hold is a bit inconvenient and not great for long walks, but I still love it. I got it at www.kangarookorner.com

set81616
11-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Yesterday I got DS to sit in the snugli for @10 minutes. I moved him constantly and as long as I had my hands supporting his head (behind the carrier support) he was ok. Wasn't thrilled but it definetly gives me hope. Same with the bjorn.

Now my big problem is I think my pump accidently got thrown away and I really can't afford another one.

Thanks for all the help.
Shannon