PDA

View Full Version : soft carrier or kelty backpack

borisje
12-21-2005, 11:14 PM
What would be better a soft backpack carrier like the patapum or ergo, or a framed one? I can't find the soft carriers in stores here, so I can only try out the Kelty backpacks out in person. I'm leaning towards the Kelty Wanderer or Tour. Can anyone recommend any of these? We would mainly use it around town for are almost 8 month old baby, and occasionally go on longer hikes.

I appreciate your help!

O.

TereasaT
12-22-2005, 05:27 PM
I have an Ergo, a Patapum, and a Kelty Pathfinder. I prefer the Ergo and Patapum, but I'm very petite so the Kelty just feels huge to me. I like how you can use the Ergo and Patapum on front and back. The newest generation Ergo can also be used in a hip carry. With the soft backpack carriers, baby is directly in contact with you which is a definite plus for me due to the snuggling factor. Although in the summers, it can get pretty hot. It's also very packable and can hang from your waist when you aren't wearing your baby.

With the Kelty, it is nice that you can take it off and the baby can just sit in it. My DH prefers the Kelty because he thinks it is so much easier to strap our DS in first and then put it on his back. He hasn't quite mastered putting DS on his back without my help with the Ergo or Patapum. The Kelty is huge! DH has bumped into so many walls.

~Tereasa

borisje
12-24-2005, 12:15 AM
Thank you for your help! We got the Kelty Wanderer (which is not super huge), but I'm still tempted by an Ergo/Patapum. Which of those two do you prefer? Is it easy to get your baby in and out by yourself? How long can you carry your baby in one of those soft carriers?
Thanks!

TereasaT
12-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Well, I don't have the new generation Ergo so I can't really comment on that one as they have made a few changes in the design. I have a classic Ergo, the Ergo that came out before the classic, and a Patapum. Personally, I prefer the Patapum over the Ergo because it looks sleeker because the sleeping hood is detachable and it doesn't have a pocket. The Ergo looks bulkier because the sleeping hood is usually tucked into the pocket when not in use. The newer generation Ergo has a pocket with a zipper which is a nice improvement over the older generations.

I have heard some moms say they prefer one or the other for the fit. Usually, the more petite moms say the Patapum fits them better than the Ergo for some reason.

I find it very easy to get my baby on my back by myself, but I have been wearing my son on my back in wraps and mei tais since he was 6 weeks old. It does take some practice.

The longest I've carried my 15 month old is 4 hours. I was a little sore after but that's just like after exercising.

Honestly, I prefer mei tais and wraps over the Ergo or Patapum because they have nicer fabrics, they are more versatile, and I don't have a huge padded belt on. I do like the Ergo or Patapum when the ground is wet or dirty because there are no straps that could touch the ground.

Tereasa