PDA

View Full Version : Zolo OR Peanut Shell OR Kangaroo???

hannahbear
01-07-2006, 10:58 PM
I originally purchased the Baby Bjorn Original and literally wore it for about 15-20 minutes and immediately started getting aches and pains. My daughter was only several weeks old at the time.

That went back to Target.

I really want to buy a sling/pouch carrier and have narrowed it down to the Zolo (cotton stretch) or a Peanut Shell (in a stretch fabric) or a Padded Kangaroo Korner sling/pouch thingy.

I probably won't use this a ton. Maybe 2-3 times a week. However, I am traveling internationally with my daughter in July and she will be 9 months old. We will be staying in a village with lots of hills, walking, and rough terrain. I will probably also use it a lot in the airport. It isn't a huge concern but something that would cover me up while breastfeeding would also be wonderful. It will be an extremely hot locale as well.

Any experiences with any of these? Thanks.

Hanaa
Ava 10.21.2005

MommyAllison
01-08-2006, 01:07 AM
Hey our DDs are very close in age! :) Anyway, I am still very much new at the whole babywearing thing (just got mine for Christmas) but I thought I'd try to help out! I'm sure other mamas with more experience will chime in too. I have a microfleece Peanut Shell and both DD and I LOVE it! She falls asleep in it almost every time I pop her in! I really really like how pop-able the PS is - it's super easy to take her in and out if she gets fussy - plus its a very cute pouch. :) I used it at Target the other day and had a lady run over from her spot at the checkouts to ask where I got it. :) It has been very comfortable for me - the only time I start to ache is when I don't have it pulled down off my shoulder far enough. On me, the majority of the fabric is on my upper arm, with just a bit on my shoulder (enough to support DD though, obviously, and it never slips at all). It was super easy to use right from the start, which was nice. As for BFing in it...so far, it's worked okay, but its easier and faster for me to get DD positioned and latched on just holding her, personally. My DD is really big for her age - at her 2 month checkup yesterday she was 13lbs 2 oz and 24.75" - up 5 lbs and 4.75" from birth! So she doesn't fit so easily in the cradle hold within the pouch. :) She can do it though...any time I'm carrying her (and not nursing) she's in the upright snuggle position.

As for what you want to use it for...I don't think you'll want anything fleecy in a really hot place! And you'll definitely want something comfortable if you'll be using it for hours at a time. I think the Peanut Shell in a lighter fabric might work, but I really, as I said, am very new at this. The others should be able to give you some specific info! A wrap seems like it would be comfy but I don't think it would be easy to BF without re-wrapping...but I don't know. Good luck!

ETA: If you decide to try a Peanut Shell - here's the code I used for 10% off - not sure when/if it expires: CelebBaby01 HTH!

Allison
http://b1.lilypie.com/XvRAm8/.png (http://lilypie.com)

new_mommy25
01-08-2006, 04:06 AM
I would get a Zolo ring sling. The peanut shell is lovely but the least versitle. The padding on the KK is annoying to me. With the Zolo you have the tail that you can use to cover your DC while they are sleeping/nursing/in the sun and it's also easier to nurse with a ring sling period because you can adjust the rails. Another plus the Zolo has over the KK is that it is a lot smaller when folded which would be a plus for travel. A padded sling takes up a lot of room. If you do decide that you love babywearing then I would buy the Peanut shell as well. A pouch is always nice to have around.

lenad
01-08-2006, 11:49 AM
While I'd agree with the Zolo recommendation of the three you asked about, if you are going to be doing a lot of BWing, I'd recommend a Mei Tai or a wven wrap. Two-shoulder support is much more comfortable for longer time periods.

LD

tamar948
01-14-2006, 10:01 AM
I'm going to second the recommendation to check into a Mei Tai (MT) or wrap before committing to a pouch.

I have both a Peanut Shell Microfleece and a KKAFP. At DD's 2 month appointment she was 12.5 lb and 24.75 in - and goodness knows how big she is now. But I hafta say, one shoulder carriers started to not work real well around that time for us. DH still uses the KKAFP occassionally. The adjustability on the KKAFP allowed DH and I to share it since he's not a ton bigger than I. DD liked the tummy-to-tummy carry and would not tolerate anything else. Currently, it seems DD has turned against pouches, so we haven't used them in a while. :D

Regarding your July travel: by the time your DD is 9 mo, pouches will probably really not be too comfy for either of you for long walks. You definitely will want a carrier that is made for or allows two-shoulder carries since that will distribute the weight better. So I would go for the MT or a wrap. (I'm a MT chickie - but hoping to dig into wraps some day soon).

HTH,
Tamar