PDA

View Full Version : Desperate: First time here! Sling for a 17month old, 27 lbs?

DAKnits
01-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Hi all,

I am usually on the Stroller Board and belong to Stroller Swap -- unfortunately, my DD HATES strollers. She just hates being confined and will constantly pull on the harness of any stroller, and even tugs at the seatbelts/harness on highchairs. It just drives her crazy and she throws an impressive toddler tantrum.

When she was 4 months old, I tried in the Baby Bjorn carrier and she HATED it. But now that she is refusing to ride in a stroller, it it making it impossible to go anywhere with her, especially b/c she is not yet old enough to listen to me when I tell her not to run away and not dismantle entire shelves, and she is not exactly perfected the art of walking. She is a real tiger.

However, she will let me hold her (while I push the stroller, UGHHH) after a brief (but valiant) struggle ... so I am wondering if there a sling out there right for us, that will allow me to hold her without breaking my arm/back, but will not make her feel confined. Her arms have to be free for sure, and any straps or ties would be a deal breaker for her.
I am desperate!
Thanks!!!!
Rachel

AdoptChina
01-13-2006, 01:16 PM
At 27 lbs she may be heavy for a sling..you certainly can use one, but it might not be the most comfy. Id probably say to look at a mei tai carrier (Kozy, BabyHawk, Doodlebug, Freehand etc) or a woven wrap (Didymos, Storchenwiege, etc). They would give you a 2 shouldered carry and distribute the weight better

lenad
01-13-2006, 07:03 PM
I'd say a woven wrap. She'd have more freedom in it than in a Mei Tai, and they are super comfortable (also more versatile).

LD

DAKnits
01-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks for responding to a total newbie! Since I am totally clueles, is there a particular woven wrap that I should look at ... one that everyone seems to love? I am most concerned with my daughter feeling "free" and her comfort, not the looks of the carrier, although that's a bonus. Also, are there wraps without extra fabric? I am in Miami, Florida and it's way too hot to wrap layers of fabric around me (plus I am always hot).

If all wraps involve wrapping myself up in layers, is the Mei Tai Hip carrier the best option for me (I always carry her on my hip)? And I thought the Mei Tai hip carrier was ONE product, are there different companies that make a Mei Tai hip carrier ... sorry I am so clueless!

THANKS!!!

tamar948
01-14-2006, 09:37 AM
If you are specifically looking for a mei tai (MT) vs. a wrap I can try to help.

MTs can be worn on your front, back, or hip. As far as I understand, the Mei Tai Hip carrier is a product from a specific company (Ellaroo). Personally, I would find this limiting since it is constructed for hip use only. Some of the MT makers make an MT out of solarveil - this might be cooler for both you and the baby and provide sun protection for baby. Based on my quick review of some threads over at www.thebabywearer.com, it appears some of the MTs are done with all solarveil while others are solarveil body but cotton straps (possibly more comfy).

There are quite a few wrapping mama's from all over on www.thebabywearer.com - you may want to check there if you don't get all the help/ answers you need here.

HTH,
Tamar

DAKnits
01-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Tamar, thanks! I didn't even think about the fact that I would only be able to use the Hip Carrier one way -- I have been trying to navigate the babywearer site but it's daunting. I will keep researching to see if there's a suitable product that will allow me to carry my DD on my hip most of the time, but will provide some versatility. It has to be easy to use, cool fabric, not a lot of extra material to wrap around myself, and not constricting for DD ... if anyone happens to have suggestions, let me know!!!!

lenad
01-16-2006, 01:14 AM
I am afraid that the hot weather is the one bad thing you can't do much about when BWing. Maybe you could try a solarveil Mei Tai...

I hate to say this, but I think you will need to go w/ more than one carrier. One for hip carry (a pouch or a ring sling), and then (at least) another one for a two-shoulder carry (MT or a thinner wrap, like an Ellaroo).

You can always post a question on thebabywearer.com with your specific needs. There are moms from south Florida there.

LD

cara1
01-16-2006, 11:25 AM
I have the wrap for you.
Get a Gypsymama gauze wrap.
We just came back from Florida, and it's not too hot at all. (Of course, if it's 95 degrees out, I can't help you!)
Forward carries are my favorite, but tons of people do back carries with a 27 lb kid. I can tie it to do a hip carry, but my shoulder hurts pretty quickly. Even at 15 mos, DD (only 20 lbs) is happy facing me in a front carry.
The other one I toyed with getting was an Ellaroo wrap. They are very pretty. But I think the Gypsymama gauzes will be the airiest for you.
Check out the Babywearer. Try the forum on selecting a carrier. You could also browse the Wrappers paradise forum.
Or try Mothering.com; they have a Babywearing forum, too.

bethwl
01-16-2006, 10:59 PM
I was just going to second trying a Gypsy Mama gauze wrap since it will be lighter. Of course, you're still wrapping fabric around you, but maybe it's worth a shot. You can look for second-hand ones at thebabywearer.com FSOT board.

But FWIW, I can still comfortably carry my 29 lbs. 2.5 year old daughter in a mei tai. (Or a wrap, I'm just not a very good wrapper, so I dont' really use it much.)