PDA

View Full Version : regular MeiTai vs. EllaRoo Mei Hip?

cdlamis
01-16-2006, 11:48 PM
This is why I don't visit this forum any more! Now I want (need?) the EllaRoo Mei Hip. :) I already have a MeiTai Baby which I loved using wearing it in front but I have a hard time using it on my hip. Honestly, I haven't tried that much and kind of put it away for now.

But I want to get back to wearing DD and want something easy for hip carry (don't really like pouches). What is the difference between a MeiTai carrier vs. the Ellaroo MeiTai? FWIW- DD is 1 year old and 22 lbs.

Any advice? Sorry if this has been covered already. It has been a while since I visited this forum and I know there is a lot to catch up on.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
and Isabella 12-18-04

juliasmom05
01-18-2006, 02:22 PM
I have the EllaRoo Mei Hip, but have never really used the regular MeiTai so I may not be much help. I tried both, but had little patience for trying to figure out how to use the regular MeiTai on my hip, so I chose the Mei Hip. The only difference that I can tell (besides the obvious that the Mei Hip can only be worn on the hip) is they way that you put it on. The Mei Hip was way easier for me to figure out how to put on. It has clasps that connect around the shoulder and around the waist which makes it extremely easy to put on.

Without having worn the regular MeiTai, I don't know whether they wear differently or not. The Mei Hip fits comfortably over the shoulder and doesn't cause me any neck strain. DD is only 18 lbs if that matters.

Not sure if this helped or not.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

lenad
01-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Mei Tai is a type of carrier, whereas an Ellaroo Mei Tai is a specific brand of Mei Tai (It is one of the small-body MTs, so better for "bigger" kids, your dd would qualify). Mei Tais can be worn on the hip, but just about every other carrier type is better for hip carry than a regular MT.

Mei Hip is made specifically for the hip carry, and cannot be used in any other way. You can also use ring slings and wraps for hip carry. I had a Mei Hip but didn't use it much so I sold it, my dd may have been too young at the time (5mo). Now that she is 15mo, I have a Zolo ring sling which I love for quick ups and downs in hip carry (better than a pouch). But I don't find it comfy enough for a longer carry.

HTH,

LD