PDA

View Full Version : How heavy a baby/toddler have you worn on a regular basis?

Judegirl
01-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Yep, it's me, still trying to hang on somehow to delusions of wearing my squirmy, restless 33-pounder, at least occasionally...

Let's say regularly = 2+ times a week. Please choose one answer for the heaviest you carry - total weight if you wear 2 at a time!

Thanks,
Jude

SweetTooth
01-18-2006, 11:50 PM
I voted 25-30lbs, but it's getting difficult!

Sandy
01-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Hi Jude,
I still carry Alexander a couple of times a week and he is pushing close to 40lbs. I usually wear him in a hip carry about 2X a week but I only do it for around 1/2 hour to 45 minutes at a time. I carry Marisa way more but he gets jealous and wants me to carry him for a bit.

Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02
& Marisa Mia 4/23/05

lantanatx
01-19-2006, 05:50 PM
I wear twins (23 months, 28 and 31 lbs) daily, combined weight over 60 lbs. I've worn both for up to 45 minutes but that is rare. I could go longer, but one would get fussy and want down before that anyway.

Typically I just wear one, and the other walks or sits in grocery cart. We don't do lots of BW at home any more - its mostly a way to control them in situations where I can't use a stroller and I don't want them running free. Parking and street traffic typically mean I carry both going to/from daycare every day.

My most comfortable combination is an Ergo on the back and a MT on front, but the easiest popability-wise is a ring sling on first and then the Ergo, but the one-shoulder aspect makes it less comfortable after 10-15 minutes so.

Solo, I can back carry using a MT, Ergo or wrap for over an hour, but it took time to work up to that. Hip carries in MT or Ring sling got much less comfortable after 25lbs but the boys prefer to ride on my back anyway.

BTW - I have back troubles - it bothers my back a lot LESS with a carrier than when I hold them in my arms.

Alice

kijip
01-20-2006, 12:42 PM
Toby was not much into slings when he was little but now he loves to be carried (this started back in Sept/October) and a sling makes it easier for me to do so. He is 38 pounds but he is a better rider than he was before--makes it easier by not wiggling and he sort of nestles in. I would say that I carry him at least 2-4 times per week for anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes.

JacksMommy
01-20-2006, 06:45 PM
I carry Jack (36 lbs) in my KKAFP when requested, usually when he is sick or otherwise feeling needy. Usually he wants to get down after 15 minutes or so, but I've always felt I could carry him longer if needed. The Mei Tai is great for heavier kids, IMO, because I can carry a lot more in a back carry than any other way. But Jack never really needs it, so it doesn't happen.

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

Judegirl
01-20-2006, 08:34 PM
How do you wear him? All I have is a KKAFP and a hotsling, and I wore Rory today on my back for the first time. It was much more comfortable than carrying her on my hip, but I worried about her stability. (She's very wiggly!) I kept my hand behind me under her butt much of the time - and I have *very* short arms, so it was pretty ridiculous!

Thanks,
Jude

new_mommy25
01-21-2006, 03:41 AM
I still carry DS around in the Ergo or a ring sling. He is 28 lbs. and I am pregnant. If the sling is worn properly the weight should be distributed well enough that it shouldn't feel uncomfortable.

JacksMommy
01-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Jude, I have Jack in the hip carry. I usually keep an arm under his bum to take a bit of the weight off my other shoulder. I also make sure to have the KKAFP nice and snug as well as pulled down onto my shoulder and top of the arm - that is more comfortable (although somewhat restricts the range of motion in my arm). I have never felt super comfortable with the back carry in the KKAFP. And as I recall on their website, they only recommend this for short periods of time. But I'm sure that having the pouch super snug would also make this carry more secure.

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

Roleysmom
01-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Jude, I stopped wearing Roley when she was 2.5 and about 27-28 pounds. For me, the issue was her length, not her weight. I wore her on the side in a hip hammock (I know, I know, no one likes these but it worked great for us) and her legs would dangle so they interfered with my knees, and it just got too hard. DH wore her in an Ergo comfortably during that time.

Paula -- mom to Roley Julia, January '02

aliceinwonderland
01-25-2006, 08:07 PM
25+ here. Have the hotsling, that's what I used most recently (during our trip, through airports) and I aim for the hip carry. Who knows what kind of carry we end up doing. At any rate, Erik is not wiggly when comfy in it.

OT, but wearing him has been our life saver with these trips. DH gets the heavy luggage, and I can still carry at least one more bag in addition to baby :)