PDA

View Full Version : Baby carrier confusion

rnwiz
01-29-2006, 03:17 AM
My DS, almost 8 months and 17 lbs is getting too big, and too heavy for the Baby Bjorn. As I also have a DD, almost 22 months, who is stroller-challenged (won't sit for more than 5 minutes give or take), I have yet to invest in a double stroller.
So I am here to ask for advice re: an upgraded carrier.

This is all quite new to me, so any help would be appreciated. There is just so much selection. Should I go the sling/wrap or ABC route? And if so, which ones are recommended? I have also checked out the Ergo, Baby Trekker and Sutemi.

I am even willing to do a sling and a backpacky thing just don't even know where to begin.

TIA

Liz

Carly 4/15/04
Mathieu 6/15/05

rnwiz
01-29-2006, 03:17 AM
My DS, almost 8 months and 17 lbs is getting too big, and too heavy for the Baby Bjorn. As I also have a DD, almost 22 months, who is stroller-challenged (won't sit for more than 5 minutes give or take), I have yet to invest in a double stroller.
So I am here to ask for advice re: an upgraded carrier.

This is all quite new to me, so any help would be appreciated. There is just so much selection. Should I go the sling/wrap or ABC route? And if so, which ones are recommended? I have also checked out the Ergo, Baby Trekker and Sutemi.

I am even willing to do a sling and a backpacky thing just don't even know where to begin.

TIA

Liz

Carly 4/15/04
Mathieu 6/15/05

lenad
01-29-2006, 12:51 PM
For me the best combo of easy to use and comfortable is a Mei Tai. (But you'll get lots of opinions from people on this.) It has 2-shoulder support and waist support (unlike Bjorn). It is very easy to use on the back. The drawback of an MT is that it is not too poppable (you can't get the baby in and out too easily).

The most comfortable, hands down, and the most versatile, are woven wraps. They have a bit of a learning curve, but soooo worth it. 4.6m is the preferred size of moms on thebabywearer.com, who are the pros of baby carriers (my preferred length too).

I just got a "toddler" (officially called "extended") Colibri Mei Tai, which has a bigger body than any MT out there and a sleeping hood (www.colibribaby.com). I think it is fantastic for a bigger kid (my dd is almost 16mo, 22lbs and just below the recommended size of 85cm length for using it).

Sorry, have never tried any of the carriers you mention. But if you ask on thebabywearer.com you will get plenty of help.

HTH,

LD

kitmama
02-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Hehe, this is why I am poking around in this forum now, too! I am interested to see what people say- I think I am leaning toward an ABC, but I am fairly uninitiated in the babywearing world. Poppability is less of a concern for me, since I am mainly looking for a carrier for hikes and longer shopping trips. But something that has front and back carry options would be nice.

Wraps are so cool- I have yet to try one, but one of these days will treat myself to a Mom-and-Me tie-dye wrap. I think I'd like something more structured right now.

Back to the OP- (sorry for wandering off into my own carrier-hunt!) I think to get useful recommendations, you should let people know what sort of ways you typically use your carrier, and what sort of features or results are most important to you.