PDA

View Full Version : What are some good Carriers for a newborn....

connor_mommy
02-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Hi,

I'm expecting baby #2 in May and would like to use a sling/pouch carrier for the baby to make nursing easier. I used the Bjorn with my son, but I couldn't figure out how to use it for nursing. What are some good carriers out there? When using a sling/pouch, do you ever get the feeling that the baby may fall out of it? How long did it take you to get used to using it? I basically have no experience with any other carriers other than the Bjorn/Snugli types and I would like your expertise in helping me.

Thanks!!!

Mommy to Connor 2/29/2004
Baby Boy #2 due 5/31/2006

mshen
02-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Before DD was born, I got a Moby Wrap and a Ring Sling (SleepingBabyProduction). This being my first, I was *really* new to this whole babywearing thing. LOL I have to say, I prefer the Moby wrap, it was just so comfortable for me. And it didn't take me long to get used to it. I never worried about the baby falling out with either the sling or the wrap, but I thought she looked scrutched up in there and worried it was uncomfortable for her. However, she slept in there, so I guess it was ok. Oh, my baby preferred to be upright, so I never nursed her in the carrier until she could hold her head up.

If you do get a sling/pouch/wrap/whatever, I really recommend you getting a Tummy2Tummy DVD. It is an instructional video to show you how to use different carriers. I borrowed mine from the local NINO group. I finally felt comfortable using the sling after watching the DVD. Now I like the sling for short period of wear, because it's so quick!

HTH
________
Richard Lukins (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Richard_Lukins)

maestramommy
02-06-2006, 03:58 PM
I've been using a ring sling since DD was a month old. You can use it sooner, I just didn't have one. I got an EllaRoo sling. It's works very well, and it just takes a little practice to learn how to use it properly. Argree with previous post about watching instructional videos. I carried DD in the snuggle hold (tummy to tummy) until she was about 3/12 months. Now I carry her in Kangaroo hold. It does seem odd that they would put up with having their feet up against their chest, but they do! She's fallen asleep while in that position quite a few times. Unfortunately, I've never learned how to nurse with that thing LOL! But I'm told it can be done. In fact, the woman who sold it to me showed me how to do it. Another option would be a Maya wrap. It's simply a long piece of wide material that you wrap around yourself, and the baby (NB) sits in the middle. This was actually more comfortable for me because DD was centered, and her weight was distributed across 2 shoulders instead of one. With the ring sling you need to switch sides from once in a while so one shoulder doesn't get overstressed. Also, getting the baby into the nursing position with a wrap was eaiser.

Some websites you might want to look at:

www.mamatoto.org
www.mayawrap.com
www.ellaroo.com

For instructional videos you can try Zolowear.com. I found those very easy to understand, and you can play them as many times as you need.

Good luck! Babywearing can be fun, and was so convenient in the early days when we didn't have a stroller. Still use it at church. MUCH easier than toting the stroller.

Yamsuf
02-22-2006, 05:21 PM
I bought a Kangaroo Korner adjustable fleece pouch and I used it when my DD was two days old. I love it. It is very comfortable and easy. DD would snooze in it for hours when she was new born. Now that she is 5 mos, she sits in it up right facing out.

joyelyse
02-22-2006, 09:27 PM
I started using The Sling Set (theslingset.com) with my DD in the hospital. It's an overlapping pouch system that is quite easy to use. It gives you a lot of the support (two shouldered holds are key!) of a wrap with the ease of a pouch. The only challenge is that you have to get the right size. I ended up needing a smaller size than I initially figured because I was overly pessimistic about post-pregnancy weight loss. LOL

You really can't beat a wrap for comfort and versatility. The Moby wrap described above is a nice stretchy wrap that is inexpensive. It's very easy to learn on. That would be my recommendation. I'm also a fan of German Woven wraps. Love my Didymos Indio! They are quite pricey, but there's a good for sale or trade board at TheBabyWearer.com and LemonBalmEssentials.com sells used too.

I did want to say that despite it's name a Maya Wrap is a ring sling. I'd like to second the recommendation for a Sleeping Baby Productions ring sling over a Maya Wrap. Despite their popularity, I don't think they are the best out there.

I have an introduction to Baby Wearing document I wrote that I would be happy to email if you are interested.

Good luck!

Joy Elyse

I found nursing easist in a Mei Tai, becuase my DD wouldn't eat in the cradle hold. it was football or upright in a Mei Tai.

MonicaH
02-22-2006, 11:48 PM
I have a Peanut Shell in microfleece and love it. I got it when my DD was about 9 weeks old but wish I had had it sooner. It is extremely easy to use. I didn't try nursing in it for a while and this would probably be easier when your baby is smaller. Mine had "opinions" about only nursing lying down by the time we tried.

As a PP mentioned, though, you have to get the right size and this could be a little difficult while you are still pregnant. I found the shoulder to hip measurement to be more predictive than bust size (the measurements they have in the size chart).

Good luck!

Monica

connor_mommy
02-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Thank you for your input. I would love to read up Baby Wearing. Please send it to my email when you get a chance. Anything helps!

mommy to connor 2/29/2004
baby boy #2 due 5/31/06

joyelyse
02-24-2006, 12:39 AM
I tried to send email, but it said you disabled your profile, whatever that means. If you give me your email address, I'll send it. Trying to get it onto a website. I'll let you know if that happens.

Joy

connor_mommy
02-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks for trying. Here's my email: [email protected]

joyelyse
02-24-2006, 12:19 PM
I sent it. :)