PDA

View Full Version : patapum vs. frame carrier

mamajenn
02-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Hi all! I hope I came to the right place for an answer. I've been looking for a backpack type carrier for my almost 11 month old (23 pounds). It's going to be primarily used for watching my older kids' soccer games. Cade's not all that thrilled in the stroller, and carrying him in my ring sling in the hip carry is getting harder as he gets heavier. :) So, I'm looking for a backpack. Would he be able to see more (over my shoulder) in a frame type style? How hard is it to get the patapum on by yourself?? I like the look of the patapum, and the fact that it's smaller and lighter weight.... but I just don't know! Help!! :) TIA!
Jenn

TereasaT
02-27-2006, 04:42 AM
Hi Jenn,

I have a Patapum and a Kelty Pathfinder backpack carrier. In the Patapum, my 17 month old can see over my shoulder because I am 5'2" and have a short torso. He cannot see over my husband's shoulder in the Patapum. In the Kelty, DS is sitting up high so he has an obstructed view over our shoulders.

Personally, I prefer the Patapum because it is smaller and lighterweight. I can fold it up (still slightly bulky) and stuff it into a larger diaper bag. I can also just wear it without DS in it without problems. I think it is very easy to get DS on my back in the Patapum. I just buckle the waist strap, put DS on my hip, slide him onto my back while leaning forward, pull the carrier up, put on the shoulder straps, and do the chest belt. It does take some practice.

My husband prefers the Kelty to the Patapum. He doesn't like DS' body right against his as it is in the Patapum because he said he gets too hot. He also thinks it is easier to be able to strap DS in the Kelty first and then hoist it up on his back. He cannot get DS on his back by himself with the Patapum. My husband also likes that he can take it off and set it on the ground, and DS has a seat.

The Kelty is huge. I feel like I'm going to fall backwards since it throws off my center of gravity with DS sitting up high. We also have a smaller Baby Trend frame backpack which isn't as big, but my husband says it is not as comfortable as the Kelty which because the Kelty has a lot of adjustments that can be made to fit the user.