PDA

View Full Version : What is a good carrier style for a toddler?

klc92201
03-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Hey ladies! My DD and I went to the dog shows yesterday to see gramma show her dogs. Anyway, they didn't allow strollers so I had to hold her. There were too many people and dogs and I was afraid she would get hurt. So my arm was falling off from holding her all day and I wish I would have had something to let me be a little bit for hands free. I don't know if I like the way the wraps look and really and leaning toward the Hot Slings but wanted to see what you girls think I would get more use out of. Also, you should know I have never put her in a carrier except a baby bjorn that I hated.

Heather

mshen
03-26-2006, 04:08 PM
i'd say go for it! :D the hip carry would be fine for you and it's quick. plus, if you ever have another baby, it would come in handy too! oh, have you looked at mei tei? it's even more comfortable than the pouch, because it is 2-shouldered. but, it does have long straps, which could get dirty while you're putting it on... oh, another option is Ergo, which, IMO, is like a mei tei with buckles. good luck deciding!
________
Star craft replays (http://screplays.com/)

lenad
03-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Either a wrap, or a Mei Tai. Colibrybaby.com makes a "toddler" (larger) size Mei Tai that is fantastic!

Canna
03-26-2006, 10:54 PM
My DD is 14 months and 22+ lbs. For a toddler you might be able to use a Hotsling for a short period of time (like a quick trip into the store, or walking a single block) but for long trips like the zoo, museum, or a dog show, I think you'll really be more comfortable in something that distributes the weight onto both shoulders as well as your waist. I'd recommend a Mei Tai or the Ergo. We have both and really like both. The Mei Tais come in a lot of fun and stylish fabrics, while the Ergo has more a sporty backpack look (my DH loves the Ergo too).

Lucia
03-28-2006, 01:42 AM
We love our Patapum...very similar to Ergo but less expensive. Great for front and back carry. Easy to use and very comfortable. Just another option to consider.

good luck finding the right carrier!

skohng
03-30-2006, 11:19 PM
i DEFINITELY DEFINITELY also recommend a mei tai. i owned a bjorn, hotsling, and mei tai, and the MT's are by far my most favorite carrier. it looks daunting but is actually very easy to use. i would suggest looking into local babywearing meetings in your area to try one on.

carryingandstrollingabout
03-31-2006, 02:43 PM
I heartily recommend the Sutemi. It is similar to the Ergo and as PP said, a Mei Tei w/ buckles, but it is larger and more padded and easier to use for a heavier toddler. I'm carrying a 30 pounder these days.

I didn't like the Ergo. The Sutemi was just so much more comfortable and easier to use. I loved my Mei Tei but passed it along when child exceeded 25lbs. The straps dug in at that point.

Tondi G
03-31-2006, 05:36 PM
If you don't mind my asking... what is it about the Ergo that you didn't like vs. the Sutemi???

I am debating between the Ergo, Sutemi and the Patapum.

Thanks
~Tondi