PDA

View Full Version : When is it "safe" to settle on a size for a pouch or sling

cbscherer
03-31-2006, 08:38 AM
I am 7 months pregnant and expecting first baby in early June. I want to buy a pouch and sling , but am not sure what size I should get. I am 5'1, weighed about 116 prepregnancy, and have gained 16 pounds so far.I have no idea how I should try to "size" the pouches and slings or if I should wait until a couple of months after baby is born to buy one. Seems like that would defeat some of the purpose.

lenad
03-31-2006, 09:28 AM
Slings are adjustable, so you need not worry about that. Pouches can be very tricky though, since even a small loss of weight can make them fit less than perfectly. (Or maybe I am saying this b/c I am just not the biggest pouch fan.) You can try one of the adjustable pouches though for the beginning, until your weight stabilizes.

HTH

tarynsmum
04-01-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm pretty much the same body type/size as you (although I did gain more weight while I was pregnant). I've been using a hotsling for a lot of the time and the only difference is now I do the shoulder flip. So personally, I don't thinksize has changed much for me at all. I've heard of other ladies who have bought their pouchs while they were still pregnant by measuring across their back instead of over the tummy (I would just factor in extra for boob size too, if you're breastfeeding). I bought mine after my DD was born, but that's mostly because I didn't catch the BWing bug until after she was here.

You could also email or call the website where you're looking to buy (I would recommend Hotslings or Lucky Baby) and ask them for what they think.

Hope my $0.02 worth helps you out at all.

May_Flowers
04-06-2006, 03:51 PM
I ordered while preggo. I am 5'4" and 118 pre preggo and got an XS/S hotsling. After the first couple month of nursing when the top size went down I just flipped the sling at the shoulder to make it fit slightly smaller. Worked and felt great.