PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need carrier/pouch recommendation for newborn -- easy to use!

citymama
04-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Hi everyone,
I have a 3 week old newborn (she weighs 7 lbs right now) who loves to snuggle! I am looking for an easy-to-use carrier for her and would love to get your recommendations. I have been given a Maya Wrap sling by a friend but am intimidated by how complicated it seems and am afraid of tipping the baby out! I may end up using it later on but right now I need something easy to set up and safe to use with a small newborn. I also have some repetitive stress problems, so ideally this would be a carrier that is not too hard on the arms and shoulders.

FYI, I live in the NY area where it's cool right now, but moving to DC late this summer which will be very hot!

Here are some pouches I am considering based on reading posts in this forum:

--KKAFP (probably too hot in a couple of months, right?)
--Hotsling (what fabric would you recommend?)
--Peanut Shell?
--Lucky?
--Maya pouch
--Other?

Your advice would be much appreciated -- thanks in advance from me and my baby!

aguinn
04-10-2006, 10:26 AM
out of all the ones you listed, i only have a cotton peanut shell that i loved, but could only use for a little while as: #1 i had a 10-lb baby and he just wouldn't fit into it (it's cotton with no stretch) and #2 i live in new england and the weather turned chilly pretty quick after he was born in september and cotton was not warm enough.

i'd recommed a light-weight one for you for right now, and especially since you're moving to DC where it will be HOT in the coming weeks and months (i used to live there, so i know what you'll be experiencing). i really did/do love the peanut shell, but i should have gotten the fleece or other stretchy material to be able to use it longer from a stretch and a weather point-of-view.

i also have a MNM (mom and me) pouch and an MNM wrap. they are both made of hemp fleece and are warm, possibly too warm for DC weather. however, the wrap (similar to a moby wrap) is a lot less covering and would probably work out well once your DD can support her own head/neck (IMO, a wrap of this sort doesn't offer enough support to feel comfortable about having a newborn in it without having to keep one or both hands near her head; and this is not the goal of using a carrier!).

hth,
;)amy
momma to DS#1 "Big Brother" (BB) and, finally, DS#2 "Little Brother" (LB)

http://b3.lilypie.com/Eygrm4/.png[/img][/url]
http://b1.lilypie.com/ur0Am4/.png[/img][/url]

"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." ~ Neil Postman

lenad
04-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Maybe you could try an adjustable pouch? I know Zolo has one, as does Kangoaroo Korner.

Can you find any babywearers close to you to check out different carriers? (You can find all the info on thebabywearer.com)

HTH

Momof3Labs
04-10-2006, 01:08 PM
My favorites right now are the KKAFP (but it's getting too warm here for it - but gosh it is soooo comfy) and the Zolo sling (he's in it as I type). Our Mom & Me pouch takes third place. I've had little luck with non-adjustable pouches (I'm too picky about the sizing and fit), and haven't decided yet if I like my Zolo adjustable pouch.

FWIW, DS2 has preferred a tummy-to-tummy carry all along, and hasn't liked cradle style at all. It's harder because I need to support his head, but he's happier. If you are going to do tummy-to-tummy, a stretchy wrap may be a good bet right now.

The Maya wrap actually isn't very complicated - have you looked online for instructions on how to use it? The Zolo sling is about the same level of complication, and pouches are a bit easier (though not a lot of difference IMO).

citymama
04-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the useful responses. Lori, do you know if a HS would work with tummy-to-tummy -- DD loves that carry as well. I am leaning towards a HS in sateen cotton for the DC summer, although the lightweight PS fleece is tempting too....

Momof3Labs
04-11-2006, 02:55 PM
nak...

trchnically, yes, it would work. not sure if it is easiest in a nonadjustable pouch - the fit has to be pretty darn good, or you will get uncomfortable (backache).

tarynsmum
04-11-2006, 03:05 PM
I've done the tummy2tummy a couple times with my hotsling (Although it is fleece, that might make a difference). My DD doesn't like it as much, so we didn't really do it that often, and now it's all kangaroo carry (she likes being able to see). The only time we use the T2T now is for burping after BFing (which is only a minute at the most, since she hates facing in). When we did the T2T, I just flipped the shoulder a little more than I normally would and it was fine. HTH.

citymama
04-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Wow -- you're right, Lori, Maya wrap isn't that complicated when you get the hang of it. My husband figured it out before I did and has basically taken over my sling. ;-) DD LOVES being in it. Now I need one for me! I might try the Zolo or just get another Maya. I did buy a Hotslings pouch as well which DD was miserable in -- it seems too big for me, and DD gets lost in all that fabric. I'm not sure why HS is considered easier -- I really don't like the nonadjustability of it. Anyway, I'm looking forward to babywearing! :-)