PDA

View Full Version : Straps that hang down.

babybear
04-22-2006, 12:29 AM
I have a Baby Hawk Mei Tai that I really like a lot. One thing that drives me crazy is the long straps that hang. I try to tuck them in with baby but they always fall out. Both baby and I are both on the big size a little. It is just the ones that tie in the front that I have the problem with. I think it just makes it look bad besides driving me crazy. When he was little we had a Hotsling because I hate anything with a tail.

Is there anything I can do? Is there anything out there that I can use? I have tried the Hotsling on my hip but it seems to small (maybe I should get a bigger size).

Thanks!
Desirea

gour0
04-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Can you tie it in a bow? Or, you could shorten them.

s7714
04-23-2006, 12:00 AM
I don't like the straps hanging anywhere either. And I'm NOT a bow person in the slightest, so I refuse to have a bow tied on me in any way shape or form, not even on a baby carrier! I always tuck the extra strap length back around me and into the waist strap. (And I usually always have the straps tied behind my DDs back because it puts less pressure on some stress points in my back.)

Are the straps tied behind your DS's back or under his bum? If they're behind his back, I'd just try tucking them in in different spots until you find one where they don't wiggle out. If they're tied under his bum, you should be able to just tuck them into your waist strap.

Jennifer
Mommy to
DD 3/03
DD 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

babybear
04-23-2006, 07:41 AM
I started to tie it around his back since it feels better and it makes a little less strap. I am actually thinking of cutting it and making the strap shorter but I am afraid I will ruin it. I keep trying to tuck it into the body under his butt but it always falls out. One of the straps he has been grabbing lately and chews on it (I actually don't mind because it is not hanging down). Most places have the option of longer straps when you buy them, I would pay extra for shorter straps LOL.

Desirea

s7714
04-23-2006, 04:21 PM
My only issue with shortening the straps, would be the potential problem of having them becoming too short when your DS gets bigger. I mean straps that are the "perfect" length when he's 6 months old may not be the right length when he's 8 months, 12 months, etc., iykwim.

One thing I have done before, is to take the straps and twist them tightly until they start coiling up on themselves. Then I wind them around the original knot into a rose or medallion of sorts. It takes a minute or two to do, and it takes a little practice to get the ends tucked in so it doesn't unwind on you, but it is an option.

On a side note, if you figure out what the perfect strap length is for you personally, you probably could ask one of the MT makers to make a MT for you with that length of strap. Most of them seem pretty willing to do minor custom work, so I doubt doing shorter straps would be that big of an issue.

Jennifer
Mommy to
DD 3/03
DD 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

Judegirl
06-07-2006, 02:04 AM
An Onbu would eliminate this problem, but you may have to wait until your baby is older.

Jude