PDA

View Full Version : Baby #2 has colic and I need carrier advice.

mamabelle
05-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Baby #2 has colic and I need something to keep her in at home to try to settle her down but already have my hands full with #1. She is happy in the Bjorn but I cannot keep her like that all day without breaking my back. Breastfeeding and need to chase #1 around in the playground if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

maestramommy
05-09-2006, 03:11 PM
How about a sling or pouch? That is much easier on my back than a Bjorn, which always hurt my shoulders. You can breasfeed using a sling. It's also very good for a colicky baby because of the tummy to tummy feeling. My DD wasn't colicky, but would have her fussy periods. Up through now using the sling never fails. I just recently also learned how to breastfeed her in the sling and it's really added to its usefulness.

I got the EllaRoo ring sling. Love it!

www.ellaroo.com

mamabelle
05-09-2006, 04:29 PM
I am looking for a sling or pouch but need recs. Do you have a pouch or sling? Anyone know anything about hotslings or peanut shells?

chubbycheeks
05-09-2006, 05:01 PM
I have a Mom and Me Pea in the Pod pouch that I love, and would highly recommend. I used it all the time for DS2 (he had cloic as well) and while he loved the Bjorn, it killed my back. He did very well in the pouch, and when he was a bit older (about five months) he loved the Sutemi (and still does. . .)

Tondi G
05-10-2006, 01:30 PM
If you like the Bjorn style you could look at an Ergo, Sutemi, patapum.... a more comfy structured carrier. OR a pouch might work well for you... Hotsling, peanutshell, lucky baby

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

annasmom
05-10-2006, 01:38 PM
When my ds had acid reflux, and before we got him on the meds, the only thing that would calm him was for me to put him in my KKAFP. When I ccarried him he would calm down and sleep. However maybe a mei tai would be better for you with chasing after a toddler. I never had full range of motion with a pouch, and depending on how big your baby is, a pouch may hurt your neck. I used the pouch with my ds when he was about 2 months old and maybe 8 pounds. I was also not really going out that much at the time because he was so feling so poorly.

citymama
05-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Our DD was colicky too (just getting past that phase), and she likes being in the Maya Wrap sling. She hated the Hotslings, so I ended up returning it. Maybe it was the wrong size, but she was just lost in the pouch -- she likes being able to look out at the world, even when she fusses!

Good luck with the colic, and remember -- this phase doesn't last forever, just a few weeks!

lenad
05-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Maybe you could try a Mei Tai. It could be more comfortable than a sling (b/c of 2 shoulder support) and it definitely does not limit the range of motion of either arm.