PDA

View Full Version : What kind of carrier do you use with your toddler?

gogo548
06-13-2006, 12:45 AM
DD is 18 months old and approx 20lbs. I'm not quite 5'4".

When she was little, we used the Bjorn. (Sorry - I didn't know there was anything else!) Actually, she quite liked it. She liked being eye-level with people and being able to participate, etc.

Anyway, we will be travelling overseas for 2 weeks and I was hoping to have an option for carrying her. My back is now starting to hurt now and then.

I bought a Mei Tai Hip carrier. I only used it once, but I'm afraid it's not the right carrier for me. I bought a Patapum Toddler backpack carrier for DH. He only used it once, but seemed to be okay with it.

I've looked over the various websites, but I'm thoroughly confused. I'm really not interested in the "style" (fabrics, etc.), I'm just concerned about functionality and comfort. I was hoping for something I could use on the hip.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

gogo

lenad
06-13-2006, 08:45 AM
My dd is 20mo, 22lbs and I am 5'4". For a few months now we have mostly been using a Zolo ring sling. I wanted a pouch, but they don't work for us. My dd is very happy in the RS, but I can't carry her for long periods of time (1hr tops). It's great for a constant up/down though. (BTW, I also got a solarveil Zolo for the summer and like it even better.)

For longer carries I'd go for a Mei Tai, b/c they are 2-shouldered and fast to put on/take off. (Of course, wraps are the comfiest, but slower to tie/untie.) No hip carrier will be as comfortable as a 2-shoulder front/back carrier.

I have the extended ("toddler") Colibri MT and think it is fantastic for back carry. The weight disappears, and it has the sleeping hood so I am not worrying about asleep dd's bobbing head. That said, we don't use it that much, since we don't do much walking/hiking and such and dd wants down all the time.

HTH

Canna
06-14-2006, 09:21 AM
I have a 23 lb. 16 month-old. (And I'm 5'6") My favorite carrier at the moment is a Kozy Mei Tai. I wore her all day long at a CT tourist attraction last weekend and felt no aches in my back or shoulders. My LEGS got tired by the end of the day from walking and standing around with all the extra weight! But that was the only issue. I think it's pretty awesome. It's great for wearing on my front or back. The carrier body is quite long so that I actually roll the bottom up a bit if DD isn't sleeping or nursing.

You certainly could use a Mei Tai on your hip, but I find it most comfortable on my front or back because of the even weight distribution.

I also have an Ergo that I like, and a woven wraparound carrier that I like, and I have another brand of Mei Tai that's nice as well (it's a Babyhawk). But the Kozy is - for me - the most insanely comfortable of the bunch right now. I am very happy with it.

sdbc
06-14-2006, 01:01 PM
I loved the patapum at that time. A frame pack might be more comfortable for a long trip, though...
Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

gogo548
06-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks you so much for your replies!

Okay, you have me convinced that I should try a solarveil Zolo (we live in So Cal) AND a Kozy Mei Tei.

This will probably sound like a dumb question, but bear with me, I am a first time mom:

What exactly do you mean a "front carrier" with a toddler. Are they right in your face? My DD would probably be batting me the entire time.

(Remember, I used a Baby Bjorn, so front carry meant DD facing outward once she was old enough).)

Until I get comfortable with it, I'll leave the back carrying to DH and the Patapum.

Thanks again everyone!

gogo

lenad
06-14-2006, 10:09 PM
'Front carry' is the one where baby is on *your* front (and back carry on your back). 'Face out' would be the baby looking out and 'facing in' the opposite. So 'front facing out' is what you were talking about with the BB.

All of us went through learning the lingo. And since my dd is bigger and I don't go the TBW much anymore, I feel I am slipping big time, LOL.

Canna
06-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Here's a picture of DD on my front facing in. In this photo the bottom of the Kozy is unrolled so she's really covered up. This is great for sleeping and also for nursing. She's actually nursing in this photo! Pretty sneaky, eh? If you're nursing, this is so great for travel because you don't really need to worry about finding a private place to nurse, and it helps keep my DD from being distracted...we can just nurse in a museum or while shopping, etc.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6db37b3127cce897a3c940f0a00000015108McOXLhw20

Here's another pic, I'm helping get DD ready to latch on here:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6db37b3127cce897a3c900f0e00000015108McOXLhw20

I might wear her a little higher up if she weren't wanting to nurse. You can just untie the shoulder straps and bounce your DD up a bit or down a bit to adjust.

I like wearing DD on my front when there are things we might want to talk about (like at the zoo) so we can be face to face...or when she's sleepy or needs to nurse. She can also sleep on my back in the Kozy. DD is 16 months, approx. 32 inches and 23 lbs in these pictures. It's generally a little more comfortable for me to wear her on my back than on my front.

I hope you'll LOVE your Kozy! :) (If not they have great resale value! Check out the FSOT boards at thebabywearer.com!)

samantha546
06-14-2006, 11:17 PM
I would suggest a Sutemi or Ergo. I got the Sutemi for my store and love it. Then of course I bought the Ergo just to try it out. I like both.. they each have their purposes.. but then again, so do all my other 15 or so slings ;) But they're great for the long haul. Totally comfortable and easy to wear.

I'm like, sling-happy!! :)

HTH!

Samantha