PDA

View Full Version : Sling/Pouch/Carrier recommendations for a mom with back problems

CBB
07-02-2006, 08:53 AM
I want to get one for my GF who's expecting late December. She lives in Manhattan and is thinking about not getting a stroller until much later after the baby is born. I used a baby bjorn with my DD but now with all the new products I'm thinking maybe a pouch or sling is better. She has back problem. I'm looking for one that's contemporary, ergonomic, not too bulcky, and of course, comfortable for the baby.

TIA!

Momof3Labs
07-02-2006, 09:23 AM
A Bjorn is definitely not the answer for a mom with back problems. Check out the two-shoulder carriers like the Mei Tai, Ergo, Sutemi, etc.

jhrabosk
07-03-2006, 01:50 PM
If you're not looking to surprise her, there's a GREAT babywearing group in NYC. She could go to a meeting and try out some different types.

Here's the link to the Yahoo group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCBabywearing/

They're also participating in a big babywearing event in a few weeks:
http://www.babywearingbonanza.com

samantha546
07-04-2006, 01:25 AM
I agree with Lori-- try a Sutemi or NG Ergo! Those give really good support. I'd also recommend a wrap like the Moby but it can be cumbersome to put on. But GREAT distribution of weight and super comfortable IMO.

Thanks for spreading the babywearing love!

katydid1971
07-05-2006, 02:17 PM
As a mom with back problems the Ergo carrier has been a life saver!!! I think it is the BEST product I have bought in the 13 months of my little guys life. He loves it and I am able to move without pain!!!!!
Sarah

CBB
07-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Thank you for the replies! I just checked out both Ergo and sutemi on their websites. I like the fact that both can be wear front, back and hip. Does anyone prefer one over the other? What about hotsling, Mei Tai/ABCs? Are these not good for the back?

Thanks!

erzzie
07-08-2006, 01:01 PM
A Hotsling will be tough on a mom with upper back/neck issues. Any one shouldered carrier would probably not be the best choice. I don't have upper back problems, but I found by 15-20 lbs that my ring sling and Hotsling were really not comfy for any extended time. My friend with a weak neck area wasn't even comfy with a 10 lb baby in it.

ABC carriers, like Mei Tais are great for anyone with back trouble because they distribute the weight over the full back, two shoulders and waist.

The Ergo, Sutemi, and Patapum are all more structured carriers that are similar to the Mei Tai, but as a tradeoff for the flexibility (and somewhat more compact size) of a Mei Tai, they have buckles instead of long ties. I would guess most people would be comfortable in a Mei Tai up to 30 lbs or more, with an Ergo type carrier even able to comfortably carry a 40 lb'er or more. It's really just personal style preference I think.

I think Ergo's seem more like the Bjorn/Snuggli/backpack type carriers and Mei Tais are less bulky, prettier fabrics, more wrap-like feeling.

I hope that helped a little!

samantha546
07-10-2006, 12:59 AM
I have both Sutemi and Ergo (and Hotsling and Mei Tai and Moby...). I love the Sutemi, my husband loves the Ergo (good thing I stock both! lol). The Sutemi is great for front carry and is much easier than the Ergo with that shoulder strap. BUT using the Ergo for back carry can be more comfortable for women as unlike the Sutemi that crosses in the front, the Ergo is like wearing a backpack.

You noted that it was a gift for a friend.. both would be fantastic for the long haul through the city. Though the Ergo has an infant insert and it would be great for her to use right away. Wherelse the Sutemi, you have to wait until the baby has proper head control-- about 4 months. Another thing is cost-- Ergo is a bit more expensive.

I still love using my hotsling and used it exclusively with my dd when she was first born. I loved how cuddly she was in it. I still use it for quick in and out trips on hip carrying. For an infant, it's what I prefer.

Let me know if I can help in any other way. :)