PDA

View Full Version : Help with sizing Hotslings/Peanut Shell

MNmomtobe
07-12-2006, 03:22 PM
I am getting more confused looking at the sizing charts for each sling. Also, from searching old posts, it looks like some brands run larger or smaller depending on type of fabric. They are too expensive for me to buy then keep exchanging for a different size so would like to get it right the first time :) Also, I'm horrible about returning anything.
I was looking into Lucky Baby also. Seems like they run big.

Here is my info if someone could help me find the right sling/size.

DD is 5 weeks and about 8 lbs. I live in MN but we have hot summers. I am 5 feet and about 110 lbs. Was a size 2 prepregnancy. I am hopeless about doing the shoulder to hip measurement! I seem to get a different measurement each time but I think I got 22 inches at least twice so I'll go with that.

Also, how important is the leg padding?

Thanks! :)

Laundraholic
07-12-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm roughly about the same size as you. Am 5'1", was a size 2 and about 110 lbs pre-pregnancy ... but about 3 months post-partum still have about 10 lbs to go to get to that pre-preg weight (it was MUCH easier to lose the weight after I had DS 2 years ago).

Lucky Baby DOES run big. I ordered an XS and it's slightly big even with my extra weight. I'll probably have to shrink it in the dryer later. My friend has the size S and it's enormous, measuring around 25" AFTER being put through the dryer (although its supposed to be for people measuring 23-24").

For Hotslings, it sounds like you would probably be a size 1. I have a size 1 that I did shrink when I was my skinniest after DS (probably went down to about 105 lbs 6 months after DS was born) and so it measures 21" instead of the 22" standard.
It is just very very slightly small for me right now, again even with this extra weight.

Keep in mind though that I do prefer a snugger, higher fit.

IMO the leg padding doesn't make that much of a difference, except for making the pouch harder to fit in the diaper bag =P

MNmomtobe
07-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Thank you so much! Your response was so helpful. I can at least take the Lucky Baby sling off the list. Too bad as that was the least expensive. I did find a store near me that sells the Peanut Shell but I don't know if they will have a size XS to try on. I will have to call them tomorrow. If that doesn't work out, I may just go ahead and order the Hotsling. Are there any particular fabrics you would recommend for the Hotsling? Are these all cotton? These are stretchier than the Lucky Baby right? How about the reversible Hotsling? Thanks again!

Laundraholic
07-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Most of the hotslings have a very slight stretch to them... The lucky baby has absolutely no stretch at all.
Right now with DD mostly in the cradle carry, I would prefer a little stretch, to mold to the shape of her body more. Once she gets into a hip carry, I don't think it would matter at all.

samantha546
07-13-2006, 01:28 PM
If you're going for the reversible, I'd suggest a size 2-- there isn't much give. If it's a stretch sateen, go for size 1-- they're nice and stretchy-- perfect for newborns. Otherwise, if you're a size 2, the stretch cottons fit pretty true to size-- all around good sling.

I am a retailer and I just ordered a size 1 & 2 in the Sweet Pea stretch sateen for some customers. It looks like I'll have to return the size 2 for a size 1 because it's a little big. And another customer had a size 2 of the reversible and said it was a little snug but good for the hip carrying.

Hope I didn't confuse you more. Let me know if I can help you any further.

Samantha

MNmomtobe
07-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Do all the Hotslings have padding? Does "padded" just refer to the leg padding?

samantha546
07-14-2006, 12:47 AM
I do believe they all have padding which is just the leg padding really.

MNmomtobe
07-15-2006, 09:45 PM
So would you suggest a size 1 or 2 for the stretch cottons? According to the sizing chart on the hotslings website I would get a size 1. Of course, it doesn't specify type of fabrics and whatnot.
I cannot find a B&M retailer in my area that has any of the smaller sizes. They only has sizes 3-5. The guy working at one of the stores who was tiny (but about 2-3 inches taller than me but probably weighed about 115) said he wore a size 2 hotslings and suggested the same for me. I was surprised since I would assume these would fit men and women differently and he was also taller than me.

samantha546
07-16-2006, 08:00 PM
I would say size 1 if that's what the calculator came up with. If you decided to purchase one online, I'm sure most retailers or even the manufacturer themselves would exchange for a different size if it didnt' fit.

Best of luck!
Samantha