PDA

View Full Version : Ok....I need the experts....

megs4413
07-23-2006, 04:11 PM
I didn't wear DD. I own a Snugli, but don't like it really. I want a nice carrier that I can use pretty much daily. I want to "wear" DC #2. It will be necessary at times to have my hands free (considering my two year old!). I read the babywearing 101 sticky, but am more confused than ever. What do you recommend? I have a very bad back and would prefer most of the weight to be distributed evenly if possbile. I don't care how it looks really. I also want it to be simple enough for DH to use (i know it's a task! teehee). TIA!

jhrabosk
07-25-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm so far from an expert, but I thought I'd take a shot...

If you have a bad back, then you probably want something that goes on both shoulders. Coupled with simple for your DH, you might want to think about an Ergo with an infant insert? I bought mine after DD was too big for the insert, so I can't comment on it, but I've been very pleased with the Ergo in general.

After that, you could consider a Mei Tai or a wrap, but those become more complicated to use.

Do you have a local NINO group? If you do, they might have a meeting where you could get some hands on experience...

HTH!

new_mommy25
07-25-2006, 05:35 PM
I love my Mei Teis. I have been using them since DD was born. They are easy on and off and quite comfy. DD likes the Baby hawk best out of all my MTs.

tarynsmum
07-25-2006, 06:47 PM
For your back, I would definitely go with something 2 shouldered, like a Mei Tai. I didn't think the learning curve was very high (I figured it out by looking at pictures on Mei Tai Baby, didn't even need directions). DH, who is VERY not baby-stuff savvy, figured it out OK too. Once I showed him how it went on me, he was able to do it himself. I think a wrap would have WAY too high of a learning curve, and I can't comment on an Ergo or similar because I've never used/seen one.

lenad
07-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Go to thebabywearer.com and see if you can connect with other BWers in your area. It is best to actually try different carriers on, b/c both you and your baby will have preferences.

4Cats
07-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Megs,

I PM'd you (I could have gone through the local boards but wanted to try out the PM function) ;)

Congrats on the pregnancy!

Kristin

Katigre
07-28-2006, 12:34 PM
I think a Mei Tai would work best for you. Check out http://www.babyhawk.com.

JacksMommy
07-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Another good option might be the slingset. Their tagline is "wrap comfort, pouch ease" or something like that and it's true! If you buy the pouch with a support, it can be worn as a simple pouch for quick carries and as a two-shouldered carrier when you know you need a comfortable carry. The material is nice and stretchy but very breathable, definitely wearable in summer. And super easy to use, for you or for DH!

:)

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04

Laurel McCarthy LCSW
Babywearing Education

lenad
07-31-2006, 09:12 AM
The slingset needs to fit right, so I am not sure both parents could use it.

JacksMommy
07-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Whoops! That's true. If you and DH are different sizes, than the PPs suggestion for an Ergo is a good one. Or the mesh adjustable pouch from Kangaroo Korner.

:)

Laurel

maestramommy
08-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Okay, not really an expert, since I only have one kid, but......

For the weight to be distributed evenly I would recommend a wrap. Of all the carriers I have (ring sling, meitai, pouch, wrap) this carrier really seems to take Dora's weight off of me. You can wear the baby on the front or back (although I held off on back carry until Dora was a bit older) or hip depending on how you wrap.

I would go over to babywearer.com and check out their forum. They have a "choosing a carrier" and "wrapper's paradise" forum.

mommyoftwo
08-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Megs, I LOVE wearing Linnea and really wish I had known what my options were with Amelia. I too had a snugli and I hated it. It always hurt my back and was such a pain to put on. I have pouches, slings, wraps, and mei tais. I like them all and use them for different purposes. You will probably want something that allows a two shouldered carry to best distribute the weight if you have back problems. I have some back problems too and am able to do pouches and slings, but I try to use a wrap or a mei tai if I'm going to be wearing her for a long amount of time. I think for a newborn a mei tai can can work but is probably not the best option. I would recommend getting a wrap. I LOVE mine from momandmepouch.com but there are lots of good ones. The learning curve for a front carry really isn't that bad and I can wear Linnea for hours. It is by far my favorite carrier for long amounts (hours) of time. I agree that if you can find someone near you to help you out in person and allow you to try different things that will be the most helpful. However, I have been able to figure out how to use all of my carriers without that benefit. It just took a little practice and lots of posts on the baby wearer. They are such knowledgable and helpful women. Feel free to email me with questions. I'm not an expert, but have a fair amount of experience (and carriers :))now.