PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions

infocrazy
08-08-2006, 11:20 AM
I have finally accepted that DS is getting too big for the infant carrier (still well within limits it's just getting way too heavy for me now). I am really going to miss it for quick errands.

He is not much of a fan for the stroller and I end up pushing an empty stroller and carrying him.

I'm thinking of trying a sling. Any suggestions on the type?

I would rather it not be too expensive since I'm not sure he'll like it. He is pretty independent and has just started walking, so I can see the day soon where he doesn't want to be carried.

DS is 12 months, 29", 20 lbs. I am 5'9" and will hopefully be getting pregnant in the next few months with #2. Let me know if any other info would help...I'm a newbie at slings.

Thanks in advance!

JacksMommy
08-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Hmm, in your situation, I'd be looking at two types of carriers : either a sling or a mei tai style/structure carrier. The sling (pouch or ring sling) has the benefit of being very "poppable" if your DS wants to get up and down a lot. (an aside: even though he has started walking, usually it's a while before they can really walk everywhere or before you want them to!). KKAFP is my favorite beginner pouch, but being fleece, you can only get this one if you're not in a too warm climate. A mei tai style carrier would allow you to carry DS on your front or back (some people also carry on the hip but I like pouches better for that), which would be handy when you get pregnant - it's pretty much impossible to use a sling when you are too pregnant.

I like Ergo and myPouch carriers (which I also sell, but ocally, only, this is not a sales pitch!). They look very different, but both offer easy up/easy down for carrying your child on your front or back (Ergo can also carry on the hip with some adjustment). I like the myPouch over other mei tais because I personally prefer to prethread my ties and not have to tie them each time I strap baby in. But you could also check out Kozy, Babyhawk and Sachi, all of whom make popular mei tai style carriers.

The Ergo is more structured, which some people like, others don't. It's very supportive and comfortable, though. It's a lot more expensive - $92.

I'm guessing that the mei tai is going to work better for you given your plans to get pregnant. The more well-known mei tais usually run over $50 and often closer to $75, but you may be able to find something for less by checking out the for-sale-or-trade forum at thebabywearer.com. Most carriers have good return policies (at least 30 days and some are more) for a full refund. I know Ergos and Kozys have a great resale value at thebabywearer, if you want to sell later.

HTH and that I haven't confused you! I'd be happy to answer more questions.

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa and the North Bay
For full disclosure, you should know that I sell locally: KKAFP, Ergo, Peanut Shell and myPouch.

all together ooky
08-15-2006, 09:02 PM
I would say a ring sling, mei tai, or a wrap. I'd be afraid of a pouch since you're planning to become pregnant soon and it wouldn't adjust enough as you got bigger.

With a ring sling you can do a quick hip carry and if he wants to walk it's easy to just leave on. A mei tai isn't as easy to get the baby in and out quickly and when they are out you have to figure out where to put the straps. Don't get me wrong, I love my mei tai!
Mei Tais are great for back carries and you can wear them tied above or below your pregnant belly. Wraps are the most versatile but have a higher learning curve.

I also recommend checking out thebabywearer.com
There is a FSOT board there and lots a reviews.

Tondi G
08-20-2006, 06:26 PM
I got a sachi MT when Aidan was close to a year and he wasn't thrilled with it and neither was I with all the tying etc. I sold it and got a hotsling pouch which I LOVE! They are relatively inexpensive (especially if you buy one gently used on the Babywearer) and if you like it you could always get an adjustable pouch or a ring sling when you get preggo and need adjustability!

we love using it as a hip carrier and I have also worn Aidan on my back a bit too.... he enjoys it as well!

I saw a Mypouch and was interrested but had just bought my pouch and with Aidan wanting to get up and down (a new walker at the time) the pouch was just easier!

I looked around a bit and other brands of pouches you can check out are

slinglings.com

http://www.coastalsling.com/v2/index2.php these look very much like a hotsling with the padded rail etc.!

peanutshell

luckybaby

I would just suggest getting something with a little stretch to it! and the Baby Wearer site is fabulous (super helpful baby wearing mommas over there!)

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

Canna
08-28-2006, 02:25 PM
I would get either a Mei Tai or Ergo. We have both and love both. In my experience, once DD was over about 18 lbs or so, it was no longer very comfortable to wear her in a single-shouldered carrier such as a pouch or ring-sling for any longer amount of time. Both the Ergo or Mei Tai can be worn on front, back or hip, so they are very versatile. I am still using them with my 19 month old DD and don't plan to quit soon. Keep in mind that their weight gain really slows down, so your DS may only put on a couple of lbs in the next few months. And you can use either a Mei Tai or Ergo with #2 as well. Good luck!

maestramommy
09-05-2006, 11:15 PM
I would get a pouch of some kind for easy in and out, and in case your ds would rather walk most of the time. However, a meitai is much more comfy for longer periods, and a wrap is the comfiest. Since you don't want to spend too much, I'd say meitai. You can buy them used on the For-sale-or-trade forum on thebabywearer.com. Like pps said you can wear them even if you're quite pregnant, assuming you'd want to.

Believe me, I know what it's like pushing an empty stroller! That's why I got more carriers; my arm has NO endurance.