PDA

View Full Version : overwhelmed

megs4413
09-15-2006, 09:49 PM
i've been reading up in this folder, but i still have NO idea what i'm going to do...

DC #2 is on the way (feb or march) and i have a 17 mo. old (so 22-23 mos when #2 arrives). I really wanted a carrier with #1 but didn't have the moolah at the time. I had a snugli and used it with moderate success, but not to the degree I wanted to. It didn't offer enough head support for the newborn and was very bulky and hard to get on by yourself. It was also hot and uncomfortable for my back and shoulders. I imagine i'll need to wear this baby even more than i needed with DD because i'll have a DD to chase! I am completely overwhelmed by all the options. I thought i had settles on a mei-tai but i feel like something else would be better for a newborn. Here are my specific needs...

I have a very bad lower back so weight distribution is critical. I'm a SAHM so i would like to be able to get it on/off and baby in/out without help. I want to use it right away and for as long as possible. i'm a bit of a nervous mother so i need something that feels very secure.

ANY IDEAS? a moby wrap? kkafp? what???? should i get different carriers for different stages in DC's development>?

brittone2
09-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Personally I've preferred different slings for different ages/stages of development.

From the standpoint of your back, the biggest thing IMO is to get the baby's weight higher up. You want them more on your chest not hanging low. You don't want the sling below your belly button in most cases. Something that allows you to use two shoulders would be better for your back, but that may not be that much of an issue until DC weighs more. Two shoulder options would include a wrap or mei tei but IMO both of those have a bit of a learning curve, especially if you've never used a sling before. Nothing that bad but it may take some time, especially trying to use them w/ a newborn. Maybe an Ergo w/ infant insert, although I have NO experience whatsoever with an Ergo so maybe someone can help you there (I've been out of the babywearing loop since DS was tiny!).

We started w/ pouches. DH had a KKAFP, which was awesome, stretchy and snuggly especially for a winter baby. They can be hot though for a non-winter baby. I started w/ a mom and me pea in the pod fleece pouch. It took me some time to feel comfortable getting DS in and out by myself, especially because it takes time for the pouch to stretch out. Maybe it was me, but I thought a pouch was tricky that way initially with a newborn...it was kind of hard to squeeze DS in there until the sling got "broken in."

I found a basic ring sling was easy to get baby in/out of because you can open it really nice and wide if you need to. Also, it being infinitely adjustable is nice to adjust the height while nursing in the sling, and also to sort of readjust periodically so your back stays comfortable etc. (sometimes with the baby's weight the sling stretches a bit after you are wearing it for a while, and with an adjustable pouch, you might have to take it off and resnap it to get the height right/more comfortable. IMO less of an issue once the sling is more broken in/stretched out a bit). The ring sling was easy to fit a newborn's whole body into. The tail is handy if you are nursing in the sling and need to cover baby up, or if you want some sun protection.

I liked our mei tei but didn't buy it until DS was able to ride on my back. It was great for that though. I vacuumed with him in there, cooked without having to worry so much about him being close to the stove, etc. I don't have much experience (yet) with using it with a younger infant. Even after slinging DS for a while using other slings, there was a bit of a learning curve to the mei tei though. I don't think I ever tried nursing in it much. Possible, but I'm not sure how much I'd like it? I'll have to try it I guess ;)

Never owned a wrap. I'm contemplating one for #2, but I'm not sure. It is the only "style" of sling other than an Ergo that I haven't tried.

I also have a solarveil ring sling, which was great for hot weather. We took a trip to FL with DS when he was 2 months old and it was great. I tucked him in there, we walked on the beach, didn't have to worry about sunscreen and it kept him cool. We used it in the pool, etc. with him many times in warmer weather when he was small.

I definitely think different carriers serve different purposes. You can get by with one, but for me personally, it depended on what I wanted to *do* while DS was in there and where he was developmentally. I preferred different slings for nursing him to sleep, cooking, vacuuming, hip carry, cradle carry, etc. and also found my preferences changed with his size/weight too.

Not very helpful and probably very confusing ;) I'm sorry! As I said, I've been out of the babywearing loop for a while now (still wear DS occasionally but haven't bought a sling recently at all) so hopefully some moms that are more in the know about current slings can help you!

gour0
09-16-2006, 11:15 AM
I think a moby would be good for feeling secure when baby is small. If you learn how to wrap, that might be a great option for your back. I think a mei tai can work for a young baby. I honestly had several different carriers and found that different things worked better at different stages. But, it is possible to just buy one kind and make it work for you. Maybe an Ergo or a Beco? If you want 'secure' I would stay away from pouches. I always kept a hand on my babies while they were in the pouch.

JacksMommy
09-18-2006, 01:46 PM
It sounds like a wrap would be great for you if don't mind a little learning curve. Stretchy wraps, like the Moby, Hugabub or GypsyMama are very easy to learn how to use and you can pop baby in and out of them without taking them off. However, they don't tend to last as long (in terms of yrou baby getting heavier) so a woven wrap might be a better long-term investment.

A mei tai is another great option - if you get one with a long body or a headrest (like Kozy or BabyHawk), they are good for a newborn and have good security as well as comfort for you. I find them a little less snuggly for newborns but it's still a great option.

I wouldn't go for a pouch given your back probs and insecurity about security (:)). I love a pouch but they don't tie the baby in like a wrap or a mei tai would.

I agree with the PP that I use different carriers for different ages and activities. However, you don't need to get these now, you can see what you need over time.

Bottom line, either a wrap or a mei tai will work great for you and both can be used for your all of your babywearing needs, from infancy to toddler (if you really want long-term use, you might want to go with a woven vs. stretchy wrap). You might just go with whichever you like the look of better :)

Both MTs and wraps have a bit of a learning curve for back carries but not so much for front carries so you can start with that. You might also want to consider taking a class or consulting with a babywearing educator in your area. www.wearyourbaby.com and www.thebabywearer.com both have referrals. Or see if you have a local NINO group www.nineinnineout.org - you can try on lots of carriers there before you decide on what you want.

Best of luck!

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

niecie
09-18-2006, 09:42 PM
I tried the Maya Wrap and the learning curve was a little too steep for me! We never did get the hang of it, DD would disappear in the wrap and scream bloody murder. I haven't tried it since she was a newborn but I imagine it would be easier now. I ended up using my Ergo with the infant insert, much easier and more comfortable.

JacksMommy
09-19-2006, 04:15 PM
Just to clarify, a Maya Wrap is actually a brand name of ring sling, not a wrap in spite of the name - it's confusing, I know!

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

mhanscom
09-19-2006, 06:31 PM
I would look for the Baby Bjorn with the lower back support. I have had a ring sling with no success and the B Bjorn, but with a larger baby it pulls on your back. The new one have a band of support that goes around your waits. I think it is called Baby Bjorn active. Good Luck-maybe go to a store like right start or like here in So Cal Berstroms where you can try it out.

Jenn98
09-19-2006, 09:09 PM
Just a note to point out that most people say you don't want the sling to sit below your belly button, but I found that I needed the sling to hit much, much higher so I didn't get a backache. I always have to size down a bit when I buy pouches. I have a KKAFP, a Lucky Baby pouch, Moby and a mei tai. I love my KKAFP, but I don't have any back problems. I hardly ever used the Moby because I liked the simplicity of the KKAFP and I didn't get the Mei tai until later.The LB was great but not nealry as stretchy and comfy as the KKAFP. I still always reach for the KKAFP first. I have used the KKAFP since DD was a newborn and just wore it at a 5K event I was volunteering at. HTH!

erzzie
09-20-2006, 10:30 AM
I can only tell you about my experience. I have battled lower back problems since before my first child, so we both have that in common.

I have a bit of an overbuying tendency, lol. I have had a Moby, a Gypsymama BBS (the slightly stretchy one), a Kozy mei tai, a Zolo sling, and a Hotslings pouch. I also had a Baby Bjorn at one time.

Bjorn: This thing hurt my back so quickly it was a complete waste of money, and I even bought it used. I did like the freedom it allowed when I could wear it, but by the time my son was 15 lbs, I was in major pain.

Moby: Very cozy, good two shoulder weight distribution, but takes a lot of maneuvering to get it on and there's a lot of fabric to fall on the floor while you do it, so it wasn't great for out of the house. It was also hot--we don't keep the house cool enough for this. I returned it before the 30 day trial period expired. This is also reportedly too stretchy once your baby is heavier.

Gypsymama BBS: Replacement for the Moby. It is definitely more lightweight and seems like less fabric to deal with, but it's still enough that it falls on the floor and it's still only comfortable when the house is 76 degrees or less. I felt conspicuous when I wore it and wasn't comfortable out of the house in it. It was really nice when Norah was 7 lbs and very floppy, but I never choose it now, and she's only 8 weeks old.

Zolo sling: This was fabulous for the first few weeks. If we had to go somewhere, it was pretty quick to put on and I could completely adjust to support her perfectly. I still use it when I'm in a hurry to get somewhere, but will be there for a while and need a lot of comfort.

Hotslings pouch: This is less comfy for me and harder to get her positioned perfectly, but it is so streamlined and quick to put on that it's worth it. We use this for quick errands when I won't be wearing her long or when I will be sitting more--Dr's office, post office, etc. I don't think I'd expect this to be good enough for your back/shoulders to wear it for a long time, but it's fabulous in the diaper bag when you unexpectedly end up somewhere and need some support. It's usable for my 35 lb 3 year old on my hip in a pinch, and that's saying a lot.

Kozy mei tai: This is our absolute favorite. It took me a few weeks to get the hang of positioning with a newborn, but it's easy now. It takes a minute or two to put on, so I don't use it for quick in's and out's, but I could if I only had it, kwim? Norah doesn't mind having her legs in the froggy, scrunched up position inside it, and sometimes I find she froggies one leg and stretches out the other one. If yours doesn't like the froggy position, I have read that you can tie a handkerchief around the crotch to narrow it slightly, but be sure not to over-narrow as you want the baby's weight on her back and butt area, not her crotch (like the Baby Bjorn). As far as lasting a long time, I was able to wear my daughter (35 lbs) on my back for a while, but I couldn't do it long term. I think I could do 25 lbs though pretty easily, so it's definitely got a long life.

I hope that helps! Feel free to ask any questions if I left out something you'd like to know!