PDA

View Full Version : need baby carrier recommendations 7 mo old

magadan
10-02-2006, 03:08 PM
I’m looking for some advice on a new carrier for my daughter who is 7 months, 18 lbs and 27 inches. She’s used to being carried in a baby bjorn, but loves to be carried, held, and cuddled, so I don’t think she’ll have a problem with the switch. I have a little boy who is 25 months and we live in a walk-up apartment building. I rely on a carrier to leave the apartment and get them secured in the car or the stroller. Having my arms free to help my son down the steps, into his car seat, tie his shoes, pick him up when he falls down is probably most important to me. I spend a lot of time squatting, bending down and/or over. But I also use the carrier at the park, for short walks, and to hold my daughter during church. It’s rare that I carry her for over an hour and now that she’s bigger I probably don’t carry her in the bjorn more than that during the entire day. As an infant though, she spent about 6 hours every evening in the bjorn. It can take us an hour or even more to get everyone fed, dressed, changed, and ready to go out the door, so I’d like to get something that is easy on and off and not too complicated to use properly (because I’m somewhat uneasy about my tying and knotting skills). One last thing – while I don’t have lower back pain, I get pain in my upper back between my shoulder blades. I’m not sure what’s the best way to carry a baby to relieve that pain, but if anyone knows I’d appreciate the insight.

I’ve been thinking about the adjustable fleece kangaroo korner pouch or the new generation ergo, but then I think the mei tais are just exquisite. What I don’t want to do is make a purchase that’s not going to meet my practical needs, because I thought the embroidered fabric was gorgeous.

Thanks for your help.

maxineLee
10-02-2006, 07:17 PM
I posted a similar question (look down a couple of posts) . . . my daugher is the same age and height as your daugher but 17 lbs. . . :) Let me know if you find something that works!

citymama
10-02-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm in a similar situation - my 6.5 mo DD is 16 lbs and 28 inches - also a carrier baby. She loved her sling and Bjorn but has outgrown both. We recently got the NG Ergo and it's working well so far (although I had some trouble with the waist buckle coming undone initially - please double check when you use it!). I also have various back and shoulder pains, and while not pain-free, the Ergo is quite comfortable so far.

I'd love to get an MT in addition if it's as easy and relatively ergonomical - would be interested in hearing what you end up with!

JacksMommy
10-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Both of those carriers would work well for you. The KKAFP is super easy on/off and baby in/out and also a very sleek and minimalist look as far as carriers go. It's also super snuggly!

I'm not sure why the pp says her baby has outgrown her sling as my 4 you still rides in ours occasionally (in hip carry, of course).

The ERGO is also a great carrier and super comfortable. It is bulkier than a mei tai would be, and not as pretty IMO. I personally don't use my mei tai much because I don't like dealing with the straps when I'm out and about. But if you don't mind that, you can get a very secure carry (and don't have to be a boy scout, a simle bow or knot is fine) and they are so beatiful!

If I were you, I'd get both the KKAFP and an ERGO or mei tai- they serve very different functions - I use the KKAFP for around the house and quick runs to the grocery store or when my kids are wanting snuggles and I need to do other things. For more active use and lots of bending, the KKAFP is a tad less secure and you can't be completely hands free. So I like the ERGO or mei tai for that.

If you are getting the pain in between your shoulders while wearing the Bjorn, I think it's probably the same pain that many get with the Bjorn (esp when kids get bigger) because it pulls on your shoulders/upper back and doesn't distribute the weight. When you are wearing the Bjorn, make sure that the thingamabob that is at the cross of the straps on your back is pulled down as far as possible.

HTH and happy shopping!

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

citymama
10-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Good point - I should probably amend that to - DD's parents, not DD, have outgrown their comfort level with the sling! We loved our Maya Wrap in cradle carry but have not yet mastered hip carry. :-)

JacksMommy
10-03-2006, 10:14 PM
:)

Laurel

magadan
10-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks for all your help. I'm going to ponder the idea for one more night, but I probably will order the ergo tomorrow. Since I can't afford both the kangaroo korner pouch and the ergo and I do really need it to free up my hands to take care of my other little one, I think the ergo makes the most sense. But after reading the babywearers website like Maxinelee suggested, I think I'm going to convince grandma to try sewing a pouch carrier for me.

Jennifer

maestramommy
10-10-2006, 08:25 PM
for your needs either an ergo or a meitai would be great. You could wear your baby on your back. Not only would both your hands be free, but it's a two shouldered carrier like your bjorn, so both shoulders would be free as well. Pouches tend to make one shoulder/arm more constrained. We have the KKFP and while it's very comfy one arm doesn't have much freedom of movement.

Ellaroo makes a very pretty embroidered meitai. You can check out the styles at ellaroo.com. Also, different meitai's are always posted on the FSOT forum at thebabywearer.com.

staramama
10-11-2006, 12:49 PM
You'll probably get a lot of use out of the Ergo.
I just sold my KKAFP and bought myself a patapum. It's quite similar to the Ergo, but a bit more streamlined and a bit cheaper. I love it, and my DD loves it. Now when we're out and about I put my 3 yo DS in the single stroller and wear DD(almost 1 yo) in the patapum. I'll do anything to avoid the double stroller! Everyone's happier this way.
I found the KKAFP to be lovely and cozy in the early weeks with baby, but too bulky for my taste.
If you can find someone to sew up a simple pouch, that's a great option. Try sleepingbaby.net for instructions. I made one, and I'm little better than a sewing idiot. It is light cotton and I can stuff it into the bottom of the diaper bag. It works just as well as the peanut shell I bought (but the peanut shell's cuter).

elephantmeg
10-12-2006, 11:28 AM
I use an ergo (NG) and a ring sling in the hip or cuddle position-Ergo if I'm going to be in 1 place for a while or need him on my back, ring sling if I'm doing in and out of the car shopping/errands. DS is 29 inches and prob 17-18 lbs

magadan
10-12-2006, 01:05 PM
I went with the Ergo and put it on for a trip to the park on Tuesday just minutes after it arrived. I'm not sure who loved it more - me, my 7 mo. old or my 2 year old. I never complained about my baby bjorn, I figured carrying a baby is just going to be uncomfortable, but what a difference. I wish I had gotten it earlier. My baby loved it and my 2 year old was thrilled that he could run and I could chase after him. And I've been stopped twice now first by a Korean grandmother who told me how she always wore her baby on her back, loved it, and got so much housework done, and then by mother with an 11 mo. old who was looking for a carrier for a bigger child. The Korean grandmother apparently wore a mei tai (or the Korean equivalent) and said that you can pick them up in the Korean grocery stores for pretty cheap.

Thanks for everyone's help.

JacksMommy
10-12-2006, 01:43 PM
I'm so glad it's working out for you!

Laurel