PDA

View Full Version : What kind of carrier?

katiesmommy
11-16-2006, 03:04 PM
I have a 22lb. 19 months old. We don't go out often, but when we do I'd prefer to carry her as oppossed to putting her in a stroller. I have stroller issues. I'm fairly broad in the shoulders, not sure if that would matter for anything. What carriers would work with a baby this size and age? I have a new native, but can't seem to get her in it anymore.

lenad
11-17-2006, 11:00 AM
My dd is 23 lbs at 25mo. The latest I have done was a short-cross-carry in a wrap, b/c I thought she'd be up and down a lot. It worked well (I use a longer wrap then tie it around my waist as well), though a wrap-cross-carry would have been more comfortable, but obviously not poppable. Mei Tais work too, but are also not really poppable. I have not used carriers like Ergo or MyPouch that may be faster to put on/off, but I would say you definitely want something two-shouldered and with waist support. Last spring and summer I would carry my dd in a ring sling, but I really couldn't do that for very long. And she always ends up wanting to be carried for longer than I anticipate she would.

JacksMommy
11-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Pretty much any carrier can still be used with a child that size/age (including the new native) but if you're looking to buy something new, I agree with PP that two shouldered is probably the way to go. The support is definitely great as kids get heavy.

The main types that offer two shouldered support are soft vertical carriers (eg. the ERGO or mei tais such as BabyHawk or Kozycarrier) or wraps. Which one you choose depends mostly on which style appeals to you more and whether you prefer flexibility and versatility or speed and ease of use. Wraps and mei tais (in that order) offer the most flexibility and types of carries. The ERGO or myPouch offer speed and ease of use but fewer tying options.

Hth. And if you want to let us know what the difficulty you're having with your pouch is, maybe we can help! Pouches are great for quick carries.

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

katiesmommy
11-18-2006, 02:02 AM
The problem with the new native isn't really a problem with the carrier at all. I loved it when DD was younger. As she started to get bigger, it started to strain my shoulders and back. But now the problem is that I've gained some weight since then, now it's tight on just me, so I can't seem to get her in it. So I thought I would look for something with more versitility, that I can use now, and when I lose some weight. Really, I've thought about buying a new stroller, but I just really hate them, I can't seem to find a stroller that has all the features I want at a price I can afford, plus I'd rather just carry DD.

JacksMommy
11-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Ah! Well certainly if the pouch was already a strain on you, then any of the prev mentioned carriers would be a good second carrier. if you want another pouch, there are several adjustable pouches that canflex with weight gain and loss, such as the mom n me pouch or the KKAFP and its variants (cotton, mesh, etc). I find that as my kids have gotten older, they want to get up and down all the time, so I like easy on/off carriers, like a pouch, myPouch (actually a mei tai with rings) or the ERGO. For me, a wrap or traditional MT is too much work to carry DD for 10 minutes before she wants to get down.

:)
Laurel

katiesmommy
11-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Okay, so then I just have one question left. Based on comfort for both you and your DD and ease of use, would you suggest the myPouch or the Ergo?

JacksMommy
11-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Based on comfort alone, I'd go with the ERGO. They are both pretty much equally easy to use, ime. The ERGO is bulkier and more padded, with a very comfy waistbelt. It also has more features, included a built in sleeping hood, pocket, and chest strap. The myPouch is prettier and more compact but I would say less comfortable.

Laurel

katiesmommy
11-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Okay so, one more question. How easy (or difficult) is it to put a child in it on the back by yourself?

lenad
11-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Very easy with a bigger kid. If you are worried try it over a bed.

JacksMommy
11-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Tad bit of a learning curve, but then it's quite easy, IME. Easier with a child as old as yours, since they have good head control.

Laurel

Lucia
11-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Have you checked out the Patapums? We love ours and it is very similar to the Ergo, but less expensive. Very easy to use, very comfortable, and we use ours every day!

samantha546
11-21-2006, 03:01 AM
ERGO! ERGO! ERGO!

Though if cost is an issue, there is the Papatum or the Sutemi Pack. Though I still find my ERGO to be the best hands down. It's easy to put on, take off, throw in the car, etc.!

And it's quite easy to put dc on back if you've done that with other carriers. Just takes a few times to get it right over the bed and soon you'll be a pro!

katiesmommy
11-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I was hoping to avoid the Ergo because of the price, but if it's the best, I can find the money to get it. Plus with as long and as much as I'll use it, expetially if we have another child, it will be worth it.