PDA

View Full Version : Baby Bjorn -- what model to get?

yvette
01-05-2007, 08:02 AM
I want to wear it around the house as well as walk around the neighborhood or mall. Also need model with plenty of back support.

There are several models (sporty, city & air carriers) and I'm wondering which one will suit suit my needs more? On the Target website

samantha546
01-06-2007, 02:39 AM
If I may make a suggestion and depending on the age of your child, an ERGO would probably be a much better investment. This would apply to both your pocketbook, your health and your child's structural development.

But if you're dead set on getting a Bjorn, the classic is just fine as I had tried both classic and active and the extra lumbar support did nothing for me. I ended up selling both.

tarynsmum
01-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Yeah, for the money of an Bjorn, I would MUCH rather have an Ergo (or a Patapum, or a bEco, or a Connecta, etc etc). I found the Bjorns-and-like WAAAAY uncomfortable, with such a limited lifespan. If you're looking for back support, I'd say to not go with the bjorn (no matter what version, it still hurt my back after a while, even with a little one)

bethie_73
01-06-2007, 04:39 PM
DS liked it, but was just so big. It really killed my back. Mine is currenly in the pile to go to the consignment store after a handful of uses. I know people who loved it, but I guess I wish I had tried some different things.

That said, I have the classic with the longer straps (DH and I are both tall) I don't know if any of them would have better support.

maestramommy
01-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Agree with PP, esp. if you're going to get only one carrier. If I had known about the ERGO sooner, I probably would've gotten it. About the same price, you can use it with a newborn if you get the insert, wear it on your front or back, and use it til the kid doesn't want to be carried anymore. You can't lose.

My cousin had a bad back, and even the Bjorn with lumbar support hurt after a few minutes.

SeekerMage
01-24-2007, 08:07 AM
I had a baby bjorn with dd and loved it. Then I got a mei tai....same concept of wearing but soo much more comfortable. You can find them really cheaply too if you look around. I needed as much support as possible and it works fantastic. hpoe you find something that works well for you :)

MarisaSF
01-24-2007, 09:09 AM
I thought the Bjorn was great -- for about one month. I didn't have a bad back before, but I started to get one. FWIW, I had a (borrowed) regular (city?) one.

I started looking into other options. For this baby, I am hoping to get a wrap and a Mei Tai and wish I had them last time!]

Jennifo
01-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Sorry to confuse the issue further, but...I used a bjorn with my first, and my back would begin to hurt after just a few minutes. With my second, I discovered WRAPS!!! I have a Moby Wrap, and it is the most wonderful invention ever! I distributes the baby's weight across my entire back, shoulders and waist, and is good for several different carrying positions, and is very easy to use. I got mine 'gentlyused' on the For Sale or Trade area at www.TheBabyWearer.com. It was $20 with shipping (to Alaska) included. It is like a comfy t-shirt, and washes and dries much faster than our bjorn. DD will sleep comfortably for hours in the Moby. DH does prefer the bjorn b/c he refuses to learn how to tie the wrap (again, this is extremely easy - I had a LOT of trouble trying to set up my Maya Ring Sling and was very afraid of a wrap). CHeck out www.mobywrap.com and see what you think!

Niki_n_Abby
02-01-2007, 04:35 PM
My first DD lived in my sling and my second HATED them so I went looking for a front carrier. I didn't want to spend a lot of money because they have a really short lifespan. I got the JEEP carrier and LOVE it. It is really comfortable for me to wear(and I tried all the Bjorns, they were all the same) but much easier to actually use then the Bjorns. My DD loved it and I could wear her all day without pain. At 5.5 months she is now too long(her feet hit my thighs when I wear her in it) so I'm glad I only spent $40 instead of $100+ for a Bjorn.

Niki

ktshea
02-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Ditto the Mei Tai idea. We used a Bjorn for DD1 and I thought it was pretty nifty. She loved it. Then I tried a Mei Tai when DD2 was born and OH MY GOSH I can not explain how much more comfortable it is. I have a Babyhawk (got mine from For Sale or Trade on thebabywearer.com but you can also get them new at babyhawk.com). You can get them with two different fabric panels, so we have one that DH doesn't mind and a girly one for me. :) I can still wear DD1 in the Babyhawk and she's two years old. DD1 is 4 months and it's her favorite thing in the world. Anyway, I would WAY recommend any Mei Tai over the Bjorn.