PDA

View Full Version : Best pouch for petite FTM

alleycat
03-22-2007, 09:51 AM
My baby is due in June and I would love a pouch. Seems like some of the options out there might run a bit big. I'm even afraid an XS might be too big. I'm just under 5'. What's the best pouch for me? I've checked out Hotslings, Peanut Shells, Rock Sling Baby, and some other ones. Also, I've heard fleece pouches are most comfortable but will a microfleece pouch be too hot for my baby? I live in NY.

miscelster
03-23-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm really petite as well - under 5' and very small frame. I got a pouch from Lucky Baby. I was debating between Hotslings and Lucky Baby. I think that when I was looking into the two of them, Lucky Baby seemed like it might fit better. I also read that it would shrink a little if I put it in the drier, so I figured if it was too big, I would shrink it. I haven't had to. It was quite comfortable for me to use - I did that fold over the shoulder thing to tighten it up.
I think that when I emailed Hotslings, they told me that their XS would probably be too big for me.

TereasaT
03-23-2007, 04:10 PM
If you're under 5" and thin, the smallest pouches will probably be too big for you. They probably don't do this anymore, but I was able to order a custom size 0 Hotsling. This was over a year ago. There are a couple that come up on Ebay or the FSOT board on TheBabywearer. You can shrink Hotslings like the previous poster said. When you contact Hotslings, they can tell you about shrinking the Hotslings. Some of the fabrics have different shrinkage rates, and you are definitely not supposed to shrink the reversible ones. The fleece ones do not shrink. The only think with shrinking is you will lose some of the width of the pouch, too.

You can also find some moms who will make a custom sized pouch for you. On TheBabywearer, you can find some businesses who will make you a custom pouch.

As far as microfleece, it's cooler than the Malden Mills fleece that Hotslings or Kangaroo Korner uses, but I still wouldn't use it in the summer. It's like putting a fleece blanket on your baby or you wearing a fleece vest in the summer. It's okay if you are indoors in air conditioning.

ktshea
03-25-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm 5'1 and very small-framed and my size 1 Hotsling fits just fine. I also have an XS fleece Hotsling and it fits well too. They're actually both a bit too tight for me to do an outward-facing kangaroo carry with. And right after my kiddos were born the cradle carries were tight in them (I was a bit 'differently endowed' for a few weeks). I have a shrunken size two for immediately postpartum and kangaroo carries, but it's too big for hip-carries on me - now and postpartum. I do like Hotslings (and pouches in general) for their ease-of-use, but if you're really worried about fit, a ring sling might work nicely. It still does the same one-shouldered carries but offers flexibility in fit.
HTH!

PS - I should tell you that I don't actually own any ring slings; just thought one may fit your needs. I'm more of a German-style woven wrap and Mei Tai gal myself. :)

alleycat
03-26-2007, 08:08 AM
I, too, am small-framed overall except I'm somewhat well endowed (even pre-preggo). Can't imagine what I'll be like when I start breastfeeding.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll give Lucky Baby and Hotslings a call to see if they can do a custom pouch or give me advice as to what size to order.

I thought about a ring sling but it looked like I would have a lot of extra fabric on my shoulder. The pouches just seem to have a cleaner look and will be easier to use.