PDA

View Full Version : sizing help for hotslings-Please :)

lilys mommy
04-03-2007, 07:50 PM
HI
I bought a new native baby sling ( regular pouch style) from babystyle. i went with the size recomendations and bought the large. It is so big! When my baby was a newborn I had to dig in the thing to get her out she was completly coverd, now I feel like she is falling out in a hip carry and she is not stable either I can tell by her posture.
I want to try again with a hotsling but am scared to get the rong size and tie up morey wasted money.
Any experienced sling mammas please help :)

samantha546
04-04-2007, 01:19 AM
The HS size calculator is pretty accurate. If you're between sizes, size down. Buy from a local or online WAHM and they'll be sure to give you a ton of advice and many will let you exchange if the size isn't right.

HTH!

tarynsmum
04-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Pretty much what she said :D. I think that the sizing chart is a lot better at Hotsling (I personally don't think New Native does it correctly, if you ask me, which you didn't ;))

Also, they are very good at Hotsling about doing exchanges and refunds, don't feel bad if you have to - it's more important to get the right size and fit.

lilys mommy
04-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks girls for the info! I love the idea of a sling, but this one is just NOT working for us! I thought it would when she got bigger but it just got worse! The models on the website carry there kids up so high. Lily hangs way down low on my hip so I know either I am just not getting it on right or it is too big! Thanks for your help :)

tarynsmum
04-05-2007, 07:44 AM
If you look at the diagram on the bottom of the page, you can see where baby's bum is supposed to hit (I put my hand on DD's bum, with the edge of my hand against my stomach, to figure out where the "bottom" is. That diagram is for ANY AND EVERY pouch, regardless of brand. Actually, it's also the same for adjustable pouches, and ring slings too. :D

http://www.hotslings.com/s.nl/it.I/id.11/.f

Going by your description, I'd say too big.

lilys mommy
04-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Oh she is much too low! Her bum sits closer to my pubic bone no wonder my back is aching!!!

tarynsmum
04-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Yep, that'll do it. All her weight is on your one shoulder, instead of along your back and trunk. Trust me, it'll feel a lot better with a smaller size!

teddy
04-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Not to hijack, but I don't understand the "blue zone" in the Hotslings diagram. The darkest zone looks purple to me. Is that the blue zone they are referring to?

I ask because I just got my Hotsling in size 3, based on my shoulder to hip measurement. But every other measurement says I should be in a size 2. Anyway, it is hard to get DD (1 week old) into the sling. When she's in there on her back with her feet crossed, her head and neck seem to follow my body's contours and bend towards me. Is that correct? Should she be on her side? IS it the size? What am I doing wrong?

tarynsmum
04-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I guess in the picture the 'zone' is more lavendar... It's the section referred to as "navel level" in the diagram. I don't want to say 'navel level' though, and people think it's too low, IYKWIM.

I have a really good pic of DD when she was a couple months old in our Hotsling, I'll upload it when I can find it (I have it printed out, so it might take some time unearthing). She's a little older than your DD, but you can get an idea of where she should be.

She should be on her back, if I'm following you correctly... if she were on her side, her face would be in the fabric, which isn't safe. She should be following your body, sort of curving a little.

You might want to try using a rolled up receiving blanket or small towel (you know, the small ones, hand towel size or a little bigger) underneath DD, so that she's elevated in the sling. This is really only for the littlest babies, so that they aren't too squished, and their airway is protected. It'll also help you get the feel of how it should fit - it can be difficult adjusting with a newborn.

tarynsmum
04-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I guess in the picture the 'zone' is more lavendar... It's the section referred to as "navel level" in the diagram. I don't want to say 'navel level' though, and people think it's too low, IYKWIM.

I have a really good pic of DD when she was a couple months old in our Hotsling, I'll upload it when I can find it (I have it printed out, so it might take some time unearthing). She's a little older than your DD, but you can get an idea of where she should be.

She should be on her back, if I'm following you correctly... if she were on her side, her face would be in the fabric, which isn't safe. She should be following your body, sort of curving a little.

You might want to try using a rolled up receiving blanket or small towel (you know, the small ones, hand towel size or a little bigger) underneath DD, so that she's elevated in the sling. This is really only for the littlest babies, so that they aren't too squished, and their airway is protected. It'll also help you get the feel of how it should fit - it can be difficult adjusting with a newborn.

lisamt123
05-11-2007, 04:09 PM
I have found that the sizing calculator on the Hotslings website is usually pretty accurate. I own a small retail store that sells Hotslings, and I have very few exchanges from customers who I recommend the sizing calculator to.

http://www.hotslings.com/sizecalc/calculator.php

Lisa
Personal Impressions

edited to remove vendor advertising and link

MarisaSF
05-11-2007, 10:59 PM
I don't have advice on the HS sizing (sorry), but I inherited a way-too-big New Native. My mom put a few stitches in it and made it much snugger. If you can sew even a few stitches, I'd recommend that just so you don't completely waste it.

Here are some directions: http://www.newnativeinc.com/instructionSizingandWashing.asp#smaller