PDA

View Full Version : Slinging through the airport?

MamaMolly
04-16-2007, 09:39 PM
We will be traveling with DD by plane for the first time in a few weeks and I was wondering if any moms have experience going through security with DC in a sling?

I have 2 all fabric ones and I was really hoping to wear DD through the metal detector.

It is such an inconvenience to have to juggle everything else and keep an eye on the bags. I can't imagine doing it with DD in tow.

And wouldn't you know it, DH is one of those guys who insists on having a handfull of loose change, money clip, , honking big watch, wallet, tickets, tie on shoes and a belt to deal with going through security. The man has no concept of drawstring pants and flip-flops.

Any BTDT advice? TIA

maestramommy
04-16-2007, 10:38 PM
For going through the airport I had DD in a meitai simply because it was easier. But if your sling is all fabric with no rings they should let you through without a fuss.

TereasaT
04-16-2007, 10:47 PM
It really depends on the security at the airport. According to the Transportation Security Administration, you should take your baby out of a baby sling and the sling should go through the x-ray machine. I guess they have a right to ask you to do that. I have heard that some moms have been able to leave their children in their pouches, wraps and MTs, but most have had to take their children out. In my experience, I have been asked to take my child out of my carriers even if they are sound asleep.

katydid1971
04-16-2007, 11:13 PM
I have gone through with ds in the carrier no problem one time then having to take everything off the next time. Same airport, different people. I alway laugh that they make me take off DS's shoes like I have the world's smallest bomb in them. Even though going through security is a hassle, wearing your baby at the airport is the BEST thing you can do, it will make all the rest of the trip easier.
Sarah

MamaMolly
04-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks, Mamas! Sunny Florida, here we come! :P

hellbennt
04-17-2007, 12:34 PM
we flew from miami to LGA & back (2 wks ago) & I wore baby in a pouch through security both times :)
~laura in miami~
ds1 7/03
ds2 7/06

JacksMommy
04-17-2007, 05:50 PM
I've always had to take the kids out of the pouch. Always. And we travel a lot. I actually prefer a stroller for going through security because it gives me a place to put DC while I'm taking off my shoes, his shoes, etc. But otherwise, I'm all for the sling.

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

new_mommy25
04-18-2007, 03:28 AM
We travel pretty frequently and I haven't had to take my kids out of a carrier in about 2 years. We just went from Honolulu to Phoenix a few weeks ago and no one batted an eye at DD. I used a Mei Tai but anything that doesn't have metal should be fine. Oh, and they did ask me to take DD's Robeez off.

DrSally
04-19-2007, 11:33 AM
"Oh, and they did ask me to take DD's Robeez off."

That's just funny to me for some reason. I had to laugh.

maestramommy
04-19-2007, 09:57 PM
The last time I flew with DD I was able to leave her in my meitai on the back, but I had to take her shoes off. I was like, "huh?"