PDA

View Full Version : More sling advice needed

JoyNChrist
05-05-2007, 02:45 AM
nak

i'd go with the stretch. from my (albeit limited) experience, fabric with a slight stretch makes it easier to get dc in and out, and to adjust and change positions (like from a kangaroo to a cradle carry once baby falls aseep) once he/she is in the pouch.

hth!

tarynsmum
05-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Hmmm, it's kind of a preference thing. Personally, I don't like a lot of stretch (I like my carriers TIGHT!). However, like PP said, it might be easier for a newbie (no offense) to get on and off if it has a little bit of stretch.

My issue with stretch anything is that I have to adjust more if I use the carrier for longer periods of time - ex, if I go to the mall for a few hours, after 45 minutes I'll probably do a shoulder flip, then another hour later I'm doing a double-flip...

JoyNChrist
05-07-2007, 02:12 PM
I do agree with Heather - the stretchier the pouch is, the heavier DC will feel and the more you'll have to adjust. But I tend to use the pouch for quick ins and outs (running in the bank, grocery store, etc). If I'm going to be walking a lot, I use the mei tai (we, right now it's the Bjorn, but my mei tai's on its way). :-)

JacksMommy
05-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Stretchy is definitely more comfy, as long as the pouch is the right size for you and the material isn't so stretchy that it stretches out with use, cause pouches aren't too adjustable.

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

bubbaray
05-12-2007, 08:47 AM
I need more advice on slings, ladies.

I have a Hotsling that I can't figure out how to wear comfortably. Maybe its too small?? Neither kiddo has liked it. I figured out how to use it properly, but I swear, I keep forgetting. And it is brutal to get DD#2 in there!

Based on the recommendations here, I have a (beautiful raspberry swirl!) Baby Hawk Mei Tai which is great, but too awkward to use while shopping (I have to stand to put it on and the tails would get on the ground).

I also have a CuddlyWrap, which is definitely the most comfortable, but completely useless outside as it has yards and yards and YARDS of material. Nice concept, d/n work well in reality.

So, I'm looking at another pouch, locally made.

http://www.coastalsling.com/V3/shop-sling.php

Scroll down a bit for the links. Not the best website, but I saw one of her slings today at a local park and it was stunning. Well made, 3mo baby looked VERY comfy. Recommended by two moms there.

So, do I want the stretch or non-stretch version? The one today looked like it was non-stretch, but I didn't ask the mom and I can't find that fabric on the site.

I'm thinking stretch would be more comfy....

Thoughts???

TIA

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007