PDA

View Full Version : ISO Front-Facing Carrier For Older Baby??

annasmom
05-14-2007, 11:05 AM
Does this exist?? I have been using a Mei Tai with my ds since he was an itty bitty baby and I LOVE it. However lately he has been straining his neck to see what is going on around him. I know I can put him on my back in the mei tai, but for short trips to drop off my dd at school - it seems like a lot of effort. He is also a MAJOR hair puller & chewer, so I would prefer to keep him in front.

So, I am looking for something mei-tai like in which I can carry my ds in the front. I don't even know if something like this exists. Can anyone give me any recommendations??

TIA!

pillysuss
06-11-2007, 10:44 AM
I have a gently used Baby Trekker that I would like to sell. Apparently it is great for front-facing carries--see www.babytrekker.com for pictures. Many people love the Trekker because it's comfortable, versatile and is "dad-friendly" too.

I never used it myself because my son was quite fussy and the only carry that worked for us by the time I bought the Trekker was the high-back Kozy mei tai style. I did use a Moby Wrap for front-facing carries when he was small, but the stretchy fabric doesn't support heavy weight. For some reason I didn't like using my mei tai's for front-facing carries.

Anyways, the Baby Trekker normally retails for around $110 and I think the high price is a turn-off for many (which is why I got mine second-hand). Let me know if you are interested and I can give you more details/pics.

pillysuss
06-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Oh, I forgot--if you're interested in the Trekker, you can send me a private e-mail at [email protected]. Thanks, Patty.

JacksMommy
06-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Why not just do it in your mei tai? Here's a link to instructions at the Kozy website. http://www.kozycarrier.homestead.com/instructions.html#anchor_241

I personally wouldn't bother with a separate carrier just for front facing out carry - typically you'd only need this for a few months.

For short trips like dropping your older child off at school, you might consider a hip carry in a pouch. It's very quick and easy.

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

annasmom
06-14-2007, 07:42 AM
Thanks Laurel. I have such a love-hate-hate relationship with my pouches! I am such a mei tai convert. I must be the only person who thinks the mei tai is actually easier to use than a pouch - and oh, my aching neck and back!! What is wrong with me!!

JacksMommy
06-14-2007, 10:13 AM
LOL! Well, if the pouch isn't for you, it's not for you! Not everyone loves them.

A common mistake that I see when someone is experiencing a lot of back/shoulder ache with a pouch, is that their pouch is too big. If you think there is any chance this might be an issue for you (indicators: child is not snugly against you in the pouch, child does not feel secure on you, child feels as though they are "hanging" in the pouch vs. being supported against your body by the pouch), let us know and maybe we can help!

But hey, no reason to get a pouch if you are loving your mei tai! They are great carriers, super supportive and comfy. My only issue with them is that I'm all about speed and the pouch has that aspect.

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA