PDA

View Full Version : Best for newborn?

twinmommy1120
07-11-2007, 01:45 PM
I can see this question has been asked many times in different ways but it might help if i posted my own!

I am expecting #3 in 1 month. With my twins (now 4) I used the bjorn because frankly I didnt know of anything else!

It didnt last too long but I found it to be fairly comfortable. Id love to get into wraps and go a different route than the bjorn. Id like to wear this baby a LOT as with the twins I didnt get the chance as much as I would have liked. I want something comfortable, something that keeps him close, I am a sucker for beautiful prints. I live in Florida and he is due in August so nothing too hot. I have read a bunch on here about the Ergo and they look good (and Ill probably get one) but doenst seem as great for newborns and of course not quite as cute as I would like ;)

I do not know how to wear wraps so initially something easy to figure out would be good. Id like to use it for nursing if I could too.
Thanks for your advice!
Sam

DS & DD 11/02
DS EDD 8/16/07

maestramommy
07-13-2007, 06:29 PM
If you have some time to read I would check out thebabywearer.com. Go to the forums, then go to "choosing and using a wrap." At the top of this forum is a sticky. There are all sorts of helpful links for how to use your wrap, and other wrap info, as well as pics. I found them incredibly helpful when learning back carries.

As far as what kind of wrap, you would probably want to go with a thin woven wrap. Gypsymama makes gauze wraps that are supposed to be very breathable. Another thinner woven wrap is Ellaroo. I've tried Ellaroo, but not Gypsymama, although they look very pretty. For nursing, a slightly stretchy wrap, like a moby might work better, because it's easier to move the baby into a different position for nursing once they're already in there.

Another carrier that can work with a newborn is a meitai. I use that with my baby quite often, esp. when I need to put her on my back. Because it doesn't wrap completely around you or the baby, it can be cooler. To ask about different meitais, you can go to "choosing and using an Asian carrier or soft structure carrier." It's a little bit before the wrap discussions.

Finally, although I love my wraps, for nursing I find a ring sling easier to work with. I have an Ellaroo slightly padded sling that I've used since my first daughter was a newborn. I used it with her exclusively for the first 7 months. Very easy to get her into the nursing position. I use it now with my second daughter. It's very poppable and I like it because it's the fastest in/out carrier. I use it for church every week, and whenever I don't need the extra security and freedom of a two-shouldered carrier.

Hope this isn't too much info, and congratulations on your new baby!