PDA

View Full Version : Help with Ergo!

o_mom
07-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Through a massive dose of stars aligning, I now own an Ergo (see below for story if you want)!

So, do I really need an infant insert? DS3 is 2 months, 13 lbs. I have 3 ring slings, two pouches and a Baby Bjorn (mainly DH's thing), so I'm not lacking for infant carriers. At what point can I use it with him without an insert?

Second question: How do I get them on my back? I tried DS2 in it (2 yrs, 25 lbs) and I had to have help getting him on my back. I would love to be able to put one of them on my back when I'm by myself.

Thanks!!!

Story - I was at my parents' and my temporary crown fell off. I called my childhood dentist who had me come in on a Saturday. This is in another part of town that I would not normally go to because it is out of the way. I got there about 20 min early and decided to kill time going to a garage sale I saw on the way. Poked around for a few minutes and found a carry bag for an Ergo in a box of random stuff. I asked about it and she said she had just decided to sell it and she would have to find it. I arranged to come back after the appointment and ended up buying it for $30 (don't tell me if that's not a good price, LOL) It is denim and camel, has the carry bag and looks to be in excellent condition, just slightly faded (the carrier is about one shade lighter than the carry bag is the only way I can tell).

eliasmom
07-17-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't know about the infant insert because I only got my Ergo when DD was about 10 months, but if you go to the Ergo website, you can watch the instructions for the various carries.

I watched it a few times and then practiced the back carry with DD in front of a mirror. I put on the left strap while holding her on my right hip, then bounce her around to my back while bending over. I scootch her up and down a little bit to make sure her bottom is sitting deep enough and check to make sure her legs are centered. I hold her with my left arm while I put on the right strap. I make sure it feel comfortable one last time and then do up the chest strap.

I really think the mirror is a big help.

HTH!

BTW, that was a great price!!! Nice grab!

new_mommy25
07-17-2007, 11:13 PM
You don't need the infant insert with your DS. Just fold his legs under froggy style and lower him in. He might even be able to have his legs out depending on his flexibility. My kids always liked having legs in and I practically had to force them out when they were older, but my good friend wears her baby in her Beco with her legs out and the baby is only 8 weeks.

As for the back carry: Put the Ergo on and let it hang down. Put DS on your hip. Scoot him around to your back as you are leaning forward. Keeping one hand on his back, use your other hand to pull up the Ergo. Slip one shoulder in and then the other. Stand up straight, let DS settle into the pocket (sometimes it helps to do a little bounce) and buckle the chest buckle.

Please let me know if that makes sense or not. I will be happy to take pictures.

samantha546
07-18-2007, 01:48 PM
What a SWEET find!

The DVD is available to watch online: http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/instructions.html

Good luck!

Samantha

o_mom
07-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Thanks! I have been trying to watch the instruction videos but the kids keep getting in the way. :-) I will try the mirror trick with DS2.

o_mom
07-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Thank you! I tried the front carry with DS3 this morning and he was pretty secure in there. He still needs a little head support so I may hold off with him for another month, but certainly not worth getting an infant insert at this point.

o_mom
07-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks! I have done some digging over at the babywearer and apparently I have a Second Generation Ergo, one version prior to the classic. Still not a bad deal since even those are going for $70+ on eBaby and the FSOT at BW. I figure if I like it and want to upgrade later I can get my money back easily.