PDA

View Full Version : Snugli Carrier

rkvm
08-28-2007, 05:12 PM
We're having our first DC and are looking for recommendations for a Carrier. Bjorn is recommended in the book, but was wondering if there are a little less expensive options that are still safe and comfortable.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!!!! :-)

nfowife
08-29-2007, 01:56 PM
I would get a used bjorn (or you can often find new ones at TJ Maxx or Marshalls for about $40) before one of the snuglis or infantinos. It is a WORLD of difference, seriously.

Piglet
08-29-2007, 05:45 PM
ditto!!! we had a snugli for ds1 and hated it. got a bjorn for ds2 and loved it. it was seriously a world of difference!!

rkvm
08-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks a bunch!!! Will try TJMax and Marshalls and see if we get lucky!!!

katiesmommy
08-31-2007, 05:07 AM
If I were doing it over, I'd personally skip the front carrier altogether and get either a sling or wrap.

JacksMommy
08-31-2007, 12:39 PM
If money is an issue, definitely skip the Bjorn/Snugli and get something that will last you a lot longer. The Bjorn works well and lots of people love it, but most people stop using it long before one year (the age limit) because the way it is structured makes it uncomfortable somewhere between 15-20 lbs.

Soft structured carriers are avaiable that you can use from your baby's birth on up to 2 and 3 or even 4 years of age. They can be worn on your front or your back, so have a lot more usefulness! A mei tai carrier like the Kozy will do this as well. Many mei tais are a bit cheaper than the Bjorn, but not everyone digs the strap aspect.

SSCs (soft structured carriers), like the ERGO (since you'd probably get the infant insert), the Beco (www.ecobabies.com) and the upcoming Pikkolo (see it at www.catbirdbaby.blogspot.com) are usually as or more expensive than the Bjorn but are a better value because they can be used for much much longer.

That being said, if you are dying for a Bjorn, check your local consignment or thrift store - there are always a bunch for sale at ours.

HTH!

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Owner, Carry Me Away