PDA

View Full Version : Preemies--Carrier recommendations

hillaryb
10-31-2007, 11:28 AM
My daughter surprised us by coming 6.5 weeks early. She is 3 weeks old now, about 5 lbs 10 oz and 17 inches long. She is too small for the stroller that we receveid as a gift, and I'm looking for a carrier that I and my husband can use around the house, on walks, errands, etc. The Snugli and Baby Bjorn all start at 7-8 lbs and 21 inches. Any suggestions for something with some structure that is also "husband-friendly"?

annasmom
10-31-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi! My dd, ds, and ds#2 were 8, 7, and 4 weeks early respectively. I didn't use a carrier with my dd, but did with ds and ds#2. When they were really little I used the KKAFP (Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch), and it worked great. You might have to do some minor adjustments because of your dd's small size, but she should be nice and cozy. The best thing about it, is that your dh can use it too (thus, the "adjustable" part). Here is a link:

http://www.kangarookorner.com/

The site sells several types of carriers - but we used the KKAFP. I never used a wrap, but perhaps a wrap would work well too.

Good luck, and congratulations!!

egoldber
10-31-2007, 06:04 PM
A lot of moms of preemies love a simple wrap, like a Moby.

I used a ring sling with my DD when she came home at 5 pounds, 8 ounces.

As long as your stroller reclines flat she can use it.

mamababa
11-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Congrats on the birth of your baby! Mobys are supposedly wonderful for preemies since you can do kangaroo care with them. I think it's good to have a two-shouldered option, too, since you'll be wearing your little one a lot! Here's one spot to buy them (she has super fast shipping) http://www.carrymeaway.com/category_3/Moby-Wraps.htm

I also really love my KKAFP - I'm just not sure if a preemie would get lost in there! Although on the KK site, they say they are good for preemies.

npace19147
11-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Our first preemie came home at 4lb 12oz so we were in the same boat. Our favorite carrier was the Moby wrap, but it is not structured at all and it is not particularly husband friendly if your DH is not committed to using it. It definitely has a learning curve. But it is soft, snuggly, great for kangaroo care and for making sure you preemie is still breathing. (This was my big disadvantage with the pouch, it was much harder to continually check on her without waking her up.)

The ergo has an infant insert and is a structured carrier, but I don't have any personal experience with that.

littlecindy
11-06-2007, 02:14 PM
i don't think you'll find anything structured that will work for a preemie. the moby is probably the closest you'll get.

hobie
11-07-2007, 06:59 PM
I agree with the PP, Moby is your best bet for a preemie. Nothing structured is going to work as well as a strechy wrap.

I would completely skip the bjorn/snuglie...not comfy at all. Try a beco, patapum, ergo instead.

luvsviola
11-08-2007, 12:47 PM
DD wasn't a premie, but she came home weighing 6 lbs. even We used the Bjorn from day 3 on. So, you could give it a shot. The new Bjorns have leg straps to protect small babies, though I didn't find them necessary for DD.

wildfire
11-09-2007, 10:02 PM
I also have a preemie that we are waiting to be released from the hospital. We discussed carriers with her various care providers (NICU nurses, nurse practitioner, neonatologist, etc.). The most important thing with a carrier for us is protecting her airways. A pouch is pretty much out at this point (although I have a KKAFP for later) because if she curls too much she won't be able to breathe as well.

We went with a Bali Baby Stretch wrap. We got it from Kangaroo Korner with our pouch. They are a stretchy wrap like the Moby, but they are less stretchy so we will be able to use it longer. Otherwise, it is wrapped the same as the Mobdy, etc. I got it based on recommendations at www.thebabywearer.com. The fabrics are beautiful, I am planning to experiment tonight and take them in for Kangaroo care as soon as I can master wrapping it.

maestramommy
11-16-2007, 01:05 AM
One of my friends used an Ultimate Baby Carrier for her preemie. I'm pretty sure you can buy it at BRU. It's a wrap, but it also has rings so you thread the tails instead of tying them. She said that it was the perfect size for her baby, and she actually ended up using it for months until she was ready for back carries.